Breeding Blue Guarami

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
I have 2 blue guaramis that I believe have showed signs of wanting to mate. I have a 20 gallon tank set up with just the two of them in it. I was wondering, for breeding guaramis, can I put other fish in the tank as well such as a sailfin Molly and green neon tetras. They'd look great in there. Can I have other fish in there while in trying to Breed guaramis. Thanks

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would say definitely not the molly as she would eat the babies (possibly eggs too, I don't know).

Not sure on the tetras. I am inclined to think the mating parents may be aggressive to small fish like tetras while they are breeding, but I haven't bred them so I don't actually know. That being said, live bearer fry are fairly large but most other fry are super small when hatched and most other fish will munch them. Have you looked up info specific to blue gouramis and how to raise the fry?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
snus29, you never know when it comes to tank-mates for gouramis. They're not necessarily the most social fish in any situation.

I'm running with scissors by having a female pearl gourami, a male dwarf flame gourami, 4 female bettas and a koi angle (among other fish) in my 55g. It's working so far, but that little male dwarf gourami is a NASTY sucker.

Main thing is you need room in your tank, decor that breaks up the fishes' line of site and maybe some hiding spaces. You don't have a lot of room in a 20g.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
snus29, you never know when it comes to tank-mates for gouramis. They're not necessarily the most social fish in any situation.

I'm running with scissors by having a female pearl gourami, a male dwarf flame gourami, 4 female bettas and a koi angle (among other fish) in my 55g. It's working so far, but that little male dwarf gourami is a NASTY sucker.

Main thing is you need room in your tank, decor that breaks up the fishes' line of site and maybe some hiding spaces. You don't have a lot of room in a 20g.
I have a cave and a few plants in there. That's all