Breeding Golden Gouramis ??

May 12, 2005
TN
I'm Back*SUNSMILE*
Changed my ways, for sure*SUNSMILE*

I want to breed my golden Gouramis! But the male keeps chasing the female around nepping at her tail fin! Is this a part of mating or just of aggretion?
Also any ideas on how to make them mate?

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
Well, this isn't harping, but it could be a territory thing, there not being enough space for the two fish? When it comes to breeding gourami's the male gourami will start by building a bubble nest similar to that of a betta fish, the only way to know for sure when the male is ready to mate will be when you start seeing those bubble nests.

Now the only problem with the bubble nests is gonna be the size of the tank(not that the male couldn't make them, but he'll be busy chasing the female around), it might work?(don't quote me) but you'd have a better chance of having two females if your gonna confine them in such a close space because the male is going to become very territorial and probaly stress your female to all get out.

edit>in other words you might need a larger tank to successfully breed them.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Gouramis tend to be aggressive, since they're related to bettas. The male has probably claimed the entire tank as his territory... if he does any real damage to her fin, you'll have to separate them.

I think that I've read that you need to lower the water level in the tank to breed gouramis, and do a water change with cool water. You'd also need to have fed them some good rich food for a few weeks before this so that the eggs are stronger. It isn't likely to be a good idea in a 10g with so many other fish, just because if they do actually produce eggs, the male will probably chase and terrorize all the other fish (including the female) to keep them away from the nest and eggs. Then the mollies would eat the babies anyways, once they were free swimming, assuming that the male didn't kill the mollies first.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
You will want to get another 10 gal tank and keep the tank about half full of water. Let the female in there by herself in the tank for at least a week, perferably two. Feed her meatier foods the whole time. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, that sort of thing. Introduce the male and lower the current in the water. Or you could put in a half styro cup when you put the male in. Or some floating plants will work too. Even a little better. The male should build the bubble nest within the next day. And as soon as the female drops her eggs you will want to remove her though, because the male will kill her over the safety of the eggs. After two days the eggs should have hatched and the fry will be free swimming. At that time you will want to take the male out as well and turn the current back up a little bit. The fry will not have the labrynth organ just yet, so they will need the water oxygenated.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Excellent post Jeremy! I have no interest in breeding gouramies at the moment, but I've thought about doing it in the past, and this is some great info. you provided here. I'll definitely refer back to it when I get set to breed these guys.

I've got a couple questions though...

jeremy said:
as soon as the female drops her eggs you will want to remove her though, because the male will kill her over the safety of the eggs. After two days the eggs should have hatched and the fry will be free swimming.
First...have you done this successfully with your own gouramies? But also, does the female simply drop the eggs onto the bottom of the tank and/or other tank surfaces (on plants/decor, etc.)?

If so, does the male then pick them up and move them to the bubble nest that he has built? I'm assuming that the eggs would then remain there (while he guards it) until they hatch, correct?

Also, is there anything to look out for in terms of whether or not the eggs are fertile/viable? Or whether they've grown fungus on them (is this common with gourami eggs)---any tips regarding if/when it is appropriate to remove any and how to do so?

Thanks Jeremy. Your advice is very much appreciated. I don't currently own any gouramies, but your post just inspired me to keep some as my next project! (or I might just chicken-out and breed platies/raise platy fry instead :rolleyes: )
Big Vine :)

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
jeremy said:
You will want to get another 10 gal tank and keep the tank about half full of water. Let the female in there by herself in the tank for at least a week, perferably two. Feed her meatier foods the whole time. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, that sort of thing. Introduce the male and lower the current in the water. Or you could put in a half styro cup when you put the male in. Or some floating plants will work too. Even a little better. The male should build the bubble nest within the next day. And as soon as the female drops her eggs you will want to remove her though, because the male will kill her over the safety of the eggs. After two days the eggs should have hatched and the fry will be free swimming. At that time you will want to take the male out as well and turn the current back up a little bit. The fry will not have the labrynth organ just yet, so they will need the water oxygenated.
Now that is a post I like. I have to admit, from everything I've read, I didn't think it would be that plausible in a 10, but I love how your post introduces it. I think I'm definitely going to have to try that with some of my gourami's. Quick question because I'm a little unclear on this part, do males gourami's require some sort of floating plant or something in order to produce the bubble nests?(ie:attach it too?)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They'd require either the floating plants, or a half a styrofoam cup floating, or very, very little water current on the surface. Pretty much just to keep the bubble nest intact, and make it easier for the male to make one in the first place.

You'd also want to keep the water level constant at 80F, and have a hood on the tank so that the air over it stays warm and moist (that is most important when the fry are developing their labyrinth organ).