Breeding shrimp for fish food?

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
I'm going to have an empty 40 long and thought about making a feeder shrimp tank out of it. Do cherry or any other shrimp breed and grow fast enough that I could have a weekly treat for my main tank? What's the best place online to order shrimp since my LFS doesn't carry them?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You could probably do cherry shrimp. I find them really easy to breed. They're not very big, and I don't know what fish you're trying to feed with them.

It would probably take a while for you to reach a critical mass of them so you could feed them. I think it took me about three months to have 100 (various sizes) from a starting stock of 10. They take a couple of months from birth to reach more or less adult size.

Aquabid usually has some good deals on them.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, Cherries breed better than guppies for me. I've shipped out a few boxes in the last couple weeks and I still have a bunch left. It seems like my females never take a break. I have a really hard time finding a female with no eggs. And that's in a 18gal tank that is onlky 3/4 full and they share the tank with a few mystery snails.

They will be upgraded here as soon as I get all the tanks moved and planted and such. I'd say cherries fit the bill pretty good though. Unless you are feeding really large fish.

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
How many do you think I should stock a 40 gallon tank with? Oh, should I put foam in my HOB filter intake or are the shrimp strong enough not to get sucked in. I've never had any except that one time I bought a freakin' expensive snack for my other fish :mad:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, you need to cover your HOB with a sponge, as the babies will get sucked in. If it's just a shrimp tank, you could use sponge filters instead.

You need about 6 or 10 minimum to get the population going. It would be a question of how many you can afford, and what deals you get on how many you want to start with.

Mine seem to like a planted tank. If you have some Java moss or trimmings hanging around, throw them in the tank, too. I think it might be important for the babies.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Lotus is right, what ever you want to start with will work. If you don't need anything right away, you could start with as little as 5 shrimp, but if you want, you can start with as many as you can afford. A 40gal will hold a LOT of shrimp. LOL