Breeding??

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
None that are currently known to. Some commerial facilities have been able to breed a small variety of marine fish such as clowns and dottybacks, and I had a friend who was able to get his PJ Cardnials to spawn in his 125 reef tank (no fry survived, and quite frankly, he was surpised that he even had a male/female pair). Large aquarium facilityes with huge reef environments have also had fish spawn, but because of the filtration units and lack of knowledge about larval stages, no fry survival has ever been documented.

Good luck, but I doubt you'll have much sucess. Environmental paramerters for most marine fish must be very exacting to get spawning behavior out of them. Even if they do spawn, many of them have such complex lifecycles, involving pelegic stages that cannot be reproduced in captivity, that you won't have any fry survival.
~~Colesea

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Some of the smaller gobies might work. Clowns will spawn in a 30 , but you'll need a bunch of extra kit to raise the fry. Don't know much about breeding dottybacks, getting a pair will be the tricky part, and require a bunch in amuch bigger tank.

Why your friend so surprised his cardinals bred? Where do you think most Banggais originate/ The upside to these fish is the are mouthbrooders and don't have a tricky pelagic fry stage.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Many clownfish species have been spawned and raised in captivity, by ordinary fishkeepers that just have the extra williness to raise the food needed for the fry.
Go to Amazon.com and put clownfish in the search and you will come up with books on the subject.

Also, check out www.reefcentral.com in their breeding section. There are alot of experienced people there breeding clowns, bangaii cardinals, etc.....

In a 30g I think any of the clowns would work, bangaii cardinals (which CAN be sexed....it has to do with the jawline and I *think* the dorsal fin but you can get more info at reefcentral), in fact the cardinals are the easiest as wayne said because the fry are large enough to eat baby brine shrimp right from the start.

Also, check out this site......www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/

there is a whole listing there of fish and inverts people are spawning and raising and how they are doing it.
Good luck!:D

Last edited:

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Ummm.....you can still access all the info, all the on-line articles and the database without paying anything. It was a little confusing as I tried to do a search for the bangaii cardinal but.....when you go to database then species database it came up finally. Of course, you have to go by the scientific names.....