Brine shrimp eggs

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Hello friends,I would like to hatch the eggs for live food for the blood parrots.Does anyone have any personal experience with this.The instructions seem easy enough,however,your thoughts on this (if any )are welcomed.-D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Baby brine shrimp aren't much use for larger adult fish, as they're too small. They're great for fry, though. Raising adult brine shrimp is a lot of work that most hobbyists don't bother with.

Most of the baby brine shrimp kits available are easy to use, and will produce enough for a batch of fry.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks Lotus,Nice to hear from you,as you were the first to welcome me to the forum.My LFS has hatched shrimp in bags for sale at .99 cents a bag,I have fed the parrots the shrimp and they gobble them up in amatter of minutes,they don't miss one.I shut the filters off and they have a feast.I resume filtering ,after the shrimp are eaten.Finding the shrimp eggs gives me an option .I do have a quart size container with aeration,should be fine for hatching.-D

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
They are about as big as some of the smaller icons seen here.The blood parrots are still young and fast,the parrots are about 4 inches long now.They have been moved to the 55 gall.They really relish the shrimp feast .-D

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
As Lotus said, you will have to raise the shrimp to that size. When they are newly hatched they are very very tiny and will probably not even be visible to the parrots. You would have to take the time to raise them to the size that you buy them from in the store, which might take awhile, so you would need somewhere to keep the shrimp. I feed frozen brine shrimp and my fish love them.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
I had ridiculously assumed they would be that size after hatching,of course you are both right ,the eggs are tiny.I''ll take the eggs back' and get the bags they offer from a supplier ,when necessary.Thanks friends.-D