Brine shrimp

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
just growing some brine shimps so i dont have to feed my fishes small ones.
i got them to hatch and there floting around doing nothing (i think) there was a website that says i could feed it spirulina. it doesnt look like they are eating as much as they should be.

anyone know wats the a good food to fatten them up? ;)

oh and i dont really have the time to hunt for some stuff and mix them (unless its simple and does take long to find it.)

anything u can find im the house to feed them?

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
um have you tried a little bit of yeast? i did this a few times just do a pinch or it'll make your water gross and kill them (at less that's what happend to me the first time) there's other ones I've tried just cant think of what there called I'll get back to you just try yeast first.
Good luck

wait, are you trying to feed the brine, or the fish? fattening up the BS will not do much good. Freshly hatched brine shrimp is as good as you can get, this is because of the little yoke that that the babys have to survive off of for a day or so, and its full of a bunch of goodies for the fish.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
anything else that u can feed it besides yeast?

heard u can use egg yolk but was sure if u could just crack an egg and jsut dump in the yellow stuff...

have any of u guys tried something that works well?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
ok i moved most of the shrimps to a different container...
i'll post a pic of it later.

theres a lot of water flow because theres about 1 litter of water with a 10g air pump in it...that wont kill them rite?

and i also put egg yolk in in..about 1 good drop of it but its bubbling up to the top...wat can i do about that?

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
The BS will like the areation, and they shoud eat some of the egg yolk.

What are you growing the BS for? is it just to try and raise them. because as others have said the BS are of the most nutrition to the fry in the first 24 hours after they are hatched.

Guysy

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i'll keep that in mind next time

well i wated to test out my filtered tap water to c if its ok to raise BS and its going well...but not sure if its safe to use it on my aquarium..i just bought some conditioner from top fin...

does anyone recommend any other reliable conditioners? i'm planning to use my frig filtered water along with some of the conditioner.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
A lot of people use old saltwater tankwater for their shrimp.

For hatching, I don't even dechlorinate the water, I just throw some salt in. Fridge filtered water has basically gone through and activated charcoal (carbon) filter. It removes chlorine, but not a whole lot else.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
thats for that info lotus

then today im just planning to go to my uncles house and get some RO water..bring like 2 tubs of 5 gallons tubs...

my dads kinda cheap so hes not getting that $289 "best" ro unit from costco that i wanted XD

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
thats for that info lorna but im getting the costco one for about $100 its a pretty good unit too. but i'll try to convice my dad to get the $280 cuz tis 100% filtration (so they say)

btw is it ok to have the water for my BS at like 30 F?
its know tis really cold but i c some still alive...pretty sure a lot of them died =/