Bristle Worm Disposal

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Now i've heard these guys are harmless (some kinds), but i'm just overrun with them in my 15gal "nano".

What can i do to get rid of them, or at least thin out the numbers? I know some fish species eat them but i am on the verge of starting this tank over and don't really want to add any new stock right now. Suggestions? Is it possible?

Be ready for my questions salties, as this greenhorn will be asking them over the next few weeks trying to get this whole salt thing started over the right way. *SUPERSMIL

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Some fish will eat them, though not when they get too big. They are generally harmless and beneficial, though some have a mean sting (mostly caribbean rock, or tampa bay), and some get pretty big (up to 2 metres, I have seen some 1 footers recently at the beach).
I would bear in mind they don't live on fresh air and love - if you're really getting an explosion you might consider if you're overfeeding the tank

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wayne are you sure they dont grow on fresh air and love.....lol......

If these are in a start up they will sort themselves out as there will not be enough food to support their numbers for long......as Wayne says, if they are that numerous they are eating something.....usually they are beneficial and will help with cleanup. Get some nassarius snails to help keep your sand clean, some hermits (reef safe such as scarlets) and a few cerith and astrea snails.......

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I've also recently discovered these guys in my tank (they scared the snot out'a me!!
)

I was wondering if they might be the critters who are responsible for the fragile tube like structures I fiind in my substrate? They're usually about 2 inches long and encased with sand? Anyone recognise what I'm refering to?

Also, I've just read that Arrow crabs are partial to bristle worms so that might be one method to consider to thin your crop C-man. Arrow crabs are VERY cool and not too bothersome IMO.

Last edited:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i have those same tubes that you are talking about rockingcricket. arrow crabs may seem like a good idea now, but wont later when you want fish, arrow crabs will become bothersome when they grow, the larger ones have been known to kill and eat fish, by adding an arrow crab you wouldnt be fixing the problem but adding another. C-man, if your looking for a trap, i know one that may work, its mainly a mantis shrimp trap but people have caught bristle worms in it to, what you do is get a 2 liter bottle, you cut the top of the bottle of when it is the same length as the rest of the bottle, you in vert the top so the mouth of the top is inside the bottle, you could use super glue gel or any other marine safe adhesive(spelling?) poke some tiny wholes in the sides and bottom of the bottle so when you bait it the smell will pass out into the tank, put some sand or rubble in the bottle to way it doens, and press it into the sand so the worms can get in, once they are in the cannot find a way out, then you just take the bottle out in the morning and do what you wish with the worms.

edit: here is a link to show you how to cut the bottle http://www.coralcorral.com/id19.html

Feb 28, 2005
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
RockingCricket said:

I was wondering if they might be the critters who are responsible for the fragile tube like structures I fiind in my substrate? They're usually about 2 inches long and encased with sand? Anyone recognise what I'm refering to?

The tube-like structures are the shelters of small tube worms or spaghetti worms in the substrate. These guys are harmless and feed off detritus in the tank. I think they are rather interesting to watch (when you can catch them peeking out).

Jul 29, 2005
Thanks Ram, although I did keep an Arrow crab before (named Hitler) with no problems. He did get large very quickly (almost doubling in size with every molt) and did once get his claws (and then his mouth) onto a very small convict goby. Other than that he was a welcomed, personality filled member of the tank.

Any idea what creates those tubes? I'm hoping I have some spaghetti worms that I don't know about.

Jul 29, 2005
Sorry spiffer. I think I posted before you sent you message.
Spaghetti worms huh? Excellent!! I've never seen them but I'll keep a closer eye out now. When my tank was neglected for a few months (a month or so back) I did notice some red vein like things in the substrate against the glass. They didn't move but I'm wondering if they were part of the Spag. worm's.