Bristle worm good or bad?

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
I have one of these worms as an unwanted hitchhicker. I really dont like the way it looks, but is too small to catch the little guy. Will it be any good to keep him meanwhile he gets bigger and then catch him? Googled this worm but some say good things about him and some say bad things about him.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Unless it's massive, it's not a problem. Or, unless you're overfeeding and thus become overrun. A few aren't a problem, they actually help clean up leftover food and such. It's hard to catch them I imagine, but some fish will eat them (like wrasses). Don't touch it with your hands.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
depending on the species they also have spine, I am sure you have more than one, if you see one you have 15, they are good scavengers, and 90% of the ones in home aquaria dont turn out to be a problem.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
CAPSLOCK said:
Unless it's massive, it's not a problem. Or, unless you're overfeeding and thus become overrun. A few aren't a problem, they actually help clean up leftover food and such. It's hard to catch them I imagine, but some fish will eat them (like wrasses). Don't touch it with your hands.
Will a six line wrasse eat them? I'm thinking of getting one since they stay small.

aresgod said:
depending on the species they also have spine, I am sure you have more than one, if you see one you have 15, they are good scavengers, and 90% of the ones in home aquaria dont turn out to be a problem.
15? Ohh man this is going to be a good ride:p ,but I guess if they dont bother anything then no problem.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I agree with saying that they ARE a good thing to have. GREAT for scavengers. I have quite a few small ones and if something dies.. ie: fish...they quickly break the carcass down... and I mean quickly.

Why not touch them? They aren't called fireworms for nuthin':eek:

I remember seeing a thread on RC about one that was about 12-14 feet long... there was a picture of it on the guys garage floor and a tape measure pulled out to show size.... he caught it when he took out his pvc piping he had in his tank and it lived in it.
I started gettin rid of the bigger ones in my tank after seeing that pic *BOUNCINGS

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
TRe said:
my gf was moving some rocks around and got bite by a bristle worm and it actually brought her to tears *twirlysmi
when i see the larger ones i try n catch them ( twiezers ;) )
I think I'll be doing the same :p btu I guess I'll keep the small ones since many people say they are good.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'm not sure if a sixline wrasse would eat them, but I know that fairy wrasses do (which stay smaller, are more peaceful, and I think look better than sixlines...). I had a whole bunch and never had a problem from them, they just got consumed by the fairy wrasse that I had.