Bristlenoses etc...

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We tried to find a Bristlenose Pleco recently but they didn't have any at one of the largest fish stores in Tokyo. If we cannot find one to be a hardworking algae eater for at least one of our tanks, what should we do? Should we look at buying one online if possible? Or can someone recommend some other types of algae-eating catfish? How about buying a solution to add to the water to decrease algae growth? I would prefer not to use chemicals but algae seems to be the main problem with our tanks.

Any suggestions?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Most commonly algae is caused by an excess of nutrients in the water and then by too much light. It would much easier to solve the cause of the algae rather than try to deal with it.

Check your nitrites/nitrates. If they are high then do some extra water changes over a period of time to get them down. Feed less, and leave the light on over the tank less.

But seeminly more often tap water is strewn with high nitrite's, so water changes aren't going to help the matter any. Hope this isn't your case.

I've yet to find a fish that does a decent job of eating algae, but Bristle noses are probably the most recomended. Before you turn to on-line vendors, I would check around and try to find some local breeders of fish clubs that members may have some. They are fairly easy to breed, so you may get in luck.

Chemicals are a bad idea. I've seen some types of algaecide actualy kill of the bio filter as well.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Otos are considered very good algae eaters, so getting a couple of those (depending on your tank size), may get rid of your algae problems.

Rubbernose Pleco (also known as Bulldog Pleco) are pretty good algae eaters. Mine does a decent job, but since he's the only one cleaning a 90 gallon tank, I'm not too hard on him if he misses a spot. Commons aren't too too bad either, but they can get lazy if they find a piece of wood to hide on.

If you're really set on a Bristlenose, you should be able to find one quite easily via the internet :)

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Thanx for your very informative replies. Everytime I do Nitrite and Nitrate checks, they are always low or non-existent. Optimal, I suppose. We may be using too much light and maybe allow a bit too much sunlight to hit the tank too. In addition, we should really be careful not to feed them too much. I know leftover food is a problem.

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with Orion... I have yet to find a fish that is worth their merit in eating algae... Especially if your tank is small. Ottos in my honest opinion, aren't good for anything but suddenly dying... The best solution I've found is an army of shrimp. I tend to prefer cherry shrimp 'cause they look great as well as eat algae...
10 of those bad boys in my 20G and it stays pretty darn clean.