Broken thermometer

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
hey guys, i broke one of my thermometers in a tank that has no fish it, just water, to clean it out do you think bleach will take care of it?
Thanks Brahm

ZonaGirl

Small Fish
Jun 2, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
Ares-
Most thermometers these days are filled with dyed alchohol. If you were to completely fill and drain your tank 3x, that should get rid of all of the alcohol.

I'm assuming you don't have any plants or gravel in your tank....

Do the more experienced people agree?

ZonaGirl

Small Fish
Jun 2, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
catfish mike might be right.... I've taken way too many chem classes for my own good. In the labs, they pound into your head that in order to consider a test tube, beaker, etc truly clean, you must do 3 complete rinses with what you are going to be using next.

That rule is such a part of me that I rinse my dishes 3 times at home when the dishwasher is too full to hold all of my dirties. :D

Navyblue

Medium Fish
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
I broke a thermometer in an 15 G FO without knowing it (one fine day I just find it empty and broken) and I guess it is much too late for a water change. Everything seems to be fine and none seems to be bothered at all.

IMO alcohol (ethanol) is preety harmless in a tank. I remember the Germans are experimenting dosing vodka to provide carbon food for the denitrifying bacteria and had success. (up to 6 ml in 100 L)

Last edited: