brown algae help

Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
Hi, guys. I've got brown algae. :cool:

I take care of my tank--feed every other day, pH & ammonia levels correct, 20% water changes every week/vacuum every other week, not overstocked--6 rasboras, 7 neons, and 1 algae eater (that I thought would eat it and that isn't)...

The guys at my lfs are actually not awful (imagine that!), and they say it's all the crap in our tap water causing it. They want me to buy their triple-filtered water to solve the problem.

I'm wondering if there's something that will eat it-?

I've tried an otto w/no luck. I ignorantly starved two (separately) to death until lfs guys said ottos don't eat brown algae. (whoops.) Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
How long have you had it, and how long has the tank been set up? Oddly enough, otos do eat it, but there are a couple of types of brown algae (I think). I have had a softish brown algae that wipes off things very easily, and another kind that seems to have to be scraped off. High silicates are what's usually associated with brown algae.

If you have only had it for a little while, and the tank is less than a year old, I would say it's only temporary, and scraping it off every week will help it disappear. It's also very common when you change the lighting on a tank.

Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
The tank IS just six mos old, and it actually HAS just developed in like the past month--but I haven't changed my lighting. Is there a preferred type of lighting to prevent this? I'm using blue lights and have been for a while. What's sad is my tank was very pretty for several mos...

Anyway, I've been using a tank scrubber to wipe it off my tank decor, but I have some plastic plants, and they're icky looking now. :p That's why I was hoping for something that would eat it. Not really anything?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, if the otos died, then I guess your tank isn't for them. :( Brown algae is common either in new tanks, or when lighting changes. I guess yours is the "new tank" type. You can get it off plastic plants using hot water and an unused toothbrush or nail brush. It should be temporary, so it's probably easier to wipe it off until it goes away. A snail (mystery snail or apple snail) might help with it.