Brown Algae. HELP!!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I have been trying to fight with it but no help. before i used to keep my lights on for 4-5 hours. Now I leave it on for 8-10 hours and its still spreading everywhere mainly on the rocks. I need some suggestions to solve this problem. I have a SAE in my 20 gallon tank. My question is can I transfer him in to the 55 gallon tank with my cichlids. I did some research on brown algae and found out that SAE's loves brown algae. Will it be safe for him in the cichlid tank? I know the main reason for brown algae is silica. Which i have a lot of as silicate sand. Until i do a substrate change how can I get the brown algae under control.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
that ones ruff. how big is the SAE? i dont think he would do to well in the cichlid tank. those convicts maybe a little aggressive especially with the fry in the tank. what lighting do u have? and what spectrum bulbs?

oh and is the tank near a window. im sure u know about all this but i gotta cover the basics, ya know =)

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
RISK2123 said:
that ones ruff. how big is the SAE? i dont think he would do to well in the cichlid tank. those convicts maybe a little aggressive especially with the fry in the tank. what lighting do u have? and what spectrum bulbs?

oh and is the tank near a window. im sure u know about all this but i gotta cover the basics, ya know =)

Ok. The SAE is about 2.5". AS for the convicts and the fry. I have seperated them using a tank divider. In the other half of the tank I have 1 male convict, 2 bumble bee's and 1 red zebra. Thats it. As for the lighting i have regular hoods. Link below

PetSmart - Deluxe Fluorescent Aquarium Hoods

They came with the lights i dont know how powerfull are they.

The tank is about 8 feet from the window. In what way does this effect the tank?

Well have given all the details.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
Panther28 said:
Ok. The SAE is about 2.5". AS for the convicts and the fry. I have seperated them using a tank divider. In the other half of the tank I have 1 male convict, 2 bumble bee's and 1 red zebra. Thats it. As for the lighting i have regular hoods. Link below

PetSmart - Deluxe Fluorescent Aquarium Hoods

They came with the lights i dont know how powerfull are they.

The tank is about 8 feet from the window. In what way does this effect the tank?

Well have given all the details.

im thinkin the SAE should be able to hold his own at that size. but dont hold me to that. if u do add him in definately keep an eye on him. most likely you have around 30w (2x15) over that tank. ive noticed on my tanks with the same hood/light that ur talking about i have more growth than on my other tanks with pc lights. although i dont have the exact answer im thinking the spectrum of the bulbs is too high. take a look at these bulbs...Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: GE Spectra Rays Full-Spectrum Fluorescents
they are full spectrum bulbs at 5000k. i wouldnt suggest plant bulbs, they will make ur fish look wierd and will contribute to the algea growth more than plant growth.

i guess i should rephrase my last question... is the tank in direct sunlight?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
So what you are suggesting is that i get full spectrum bulbs. I actually didn't get what you were trying to say about the spectrum. what should i do?
If the tank was in direct sun light dont you think it would kill the brown algae. As brown algae thrives in less light. In other words no the tank is not in direct sun light.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
no u will get a butt load of algea if its in direct sunlight. although algea grows in low light, it thrives with alot of light. sorry i was doing something in the middle of typing. my pc lights are 50/50 (10,000k/actinic). without going into to much detail, the spectrum comes out to pretty much 6500k. definately wait for someother suggestions because somebody may have a better idea without having to buy new bulbs but yes, i would suggest getting a full spectrum bulb and see if that helps out.

another way, but its a little harder to do on a cichlid tank, is add some live plants in there. the plants and algea will compete for nutrients and the plants will win. if the algea doesnt have nutrients it cant grow.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Brown Algae thrives in less light and green algae thrives in a lot of light. Brown algae is actually a diatom. it is not actually alage its just refered as that. i dont know what though. as for the bulb you suggested I will give it a try and see if it help and might even put SAE in the cichlid tank and will monitor him for a day or so and see if he is doing good.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
Panther28 said:
Brown Algae thrives in less light and green algae thrives in a lot of light. Brown algae is actually a diatom. it is not actually alage its just refered as that. i dont know what though. as for the bulb you suggested I will give it a try and see if it help and might even put SAE in the cichlid tank and will monitor him for a day or so and see if he is doing good.
if u leave a cup of tank water out in a window sill in direct sunlight, it will grow brown algea. in the shade, it tends to have some green also. (but always brown) liek you were saying about the silicate in sand, that does effect brown algea growth, so its not just lighting. algea just sucks period. im not racist, i hate all colors of algea!!!! *SUPERSMIL