Brown Algae

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have lots of brown algae again. I have 5 ottos that used to eat it but not anymore. Any way to get them to eat it again? LoL trying to not have to scrub it down

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
that nasty brown algea that likes to stick to the glass and everything else is usually caused by - to much light. Only keep your lights on 10-12 hours a day max. Make sure your tank is not getting sunlight from a window as well. Check your nitrate levels and let us know what they are and we can prolly help you more.

not really, just keep up with your water changes and stuff cause the otos are well worth it and they will keep your tank pretty darn clean of brown algae :) I think they aren't eating cause they are pretty old or either fed really well, how long have you had them and how big are they? if your feeding algae wafers then stop it for like a week and they should get back to the brown algae. also your way below the fish limit on the 55 gallon so adding the 5 or 6 more otos will still leave you with a little more room assuming that the danios get to like 2inches each

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I have had my oto's for almost a year now, and I have never once fed them anything but algae. They are fat and happy. If you have some brown algae I would definitely cease use of algae wafers and see if you can stimulate their hunger.