Brown and Green Algae?

Jun 27, 2003
Visit site
Hello,

I have suddenly had a huge outbrake of algae in my
marine tank.

I have a lot more brown algae but still a lot of green.

Its everywhere, all over the coral sand... rocks even the glass.

What ways would you recommend to remove/prevent this in the future?

Thanks all

JasonF

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2003
UK
Visit site
If you goto Ultimate Reef.com and do a search, there is a link to a fella who has listed the three types of Algae and how he advises to remove it..

Basically he discounts the too much phospate argument.

I'm afraid I don't have a link but I will get on tomorrow if you like.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
Brown algae is quite normal in a new tank. Some turbo snails will do a good job of cleaning the glass, and some good sand shifters, like starfish and small hermet crabs will keep the bottom cleaner.

I service salt water tanks as a part time job to support my hobby, And i can tell you that no matter how big or how long the tank has been set up... all salt tanks need constant attention to algae growing on the glass. so get a GOOD magnetic glass cleaner and use it often!!

JasonF

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2003
UK
Visit site
I use my glass cleaner every other day... Just to make sure.. No point having a fantastic fish swimming about whom I can't see because of algae, but then I don't get that much on the front of my tank...As Sinasster says, you can get some algae grazing critters to help, and even some of the fish you may keep will eat the algae. I have a phospate remover in my tank and still I get a fait bit of algae....