Brown Hair Algae/Diatoms Problem HELP!!

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Ok my tank has been set up for 3 weeks with fully cured live rock and just recently I got 2 clown fish, 4 hermit crabs, and 3 snails. My ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0 and NItrate is 0 and I just looked and the walls of my tank and they are filled with this brown hair all over. Its also on the sand a little. How to I get rid of all of it and is it dangerous if it grows too much?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
It will come and go with a young tank. It's pretty normal actually. It will bloom then eat up all the nutrients then it will go away only to come back. If you are using tap water that is your biggest culprit, but with a young tank it's very common for the first couple weeks at least. Just scrape it off.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Diatoms are not hairy.......can you get a pic of it.....it could be cyano....which can be just about any colour......increase your water flow will help and get some astrea/nerite snails as they will help eat diatoms.....if that is what it is....is it like a brown dusting? or solid and slimy?

what ever it is it is to be expected and you will probably have a few different outbreaks while your tank matures and nutrients etc balance out.......this is part of the setup and maturing that we talk about on here.....slow as you go

May 14, 2006
Palatine,IL
Now its getting really bad but only on the bottom half of the glass and the sand a little but its brown and they look like little trees. How should i clean it and get rid of it. What kind of algae or is it Diatoms. Its also growing all over my powerhead intake and my long filter tube and it really looks bad. All my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are 0ppm so it should be fine and my lights are only on 8 hours a day. Please HELP