Brown stuff

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I've noticed that my tank is starting to get this brown colored stuff covering the things I have in the tank. What is this stuff and how can I get rid of it? I have a sponge filter with 5 fish in my tank. They are all small fish. I also have one snail.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I couldn't find one of those otocinclius catfish but i'll keep checking. I ended up getting one of those albino cory catfish. Will they eat brown algae? I also got a couple ghost shrimp. How about them? Will they help at all?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Just read some info on the albino cat,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=953

Don't think it's going to do what I want it to do. Although, while I was gone today my snail ate all that brown algae. So I might wait to see. I might just get another snail. Also I read the oto cat will eat the junk on my plants. I don't have any real plants yet, but I soon hope to after I get my water quality in check. Will a live plant develop algae on it?

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Ohh,i agree with mortiferous,otocinlus will be da best to clean up algae.U can try feed some algae eater shrimp,i cant rememba wat it is call,but mine i use my profesional fish,golden algae eater,they get almost three inch in size or smaller,they r a hardy,bt tense to gt aggresive when they r older.Or make it easier do as wat Lotus told,wipe it away.Gd luck with ur tank

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I found some of them oto catfish. I got two of them today and after putting them into my tank one died. So I took him back to the store for a replacement. Now I just checked before bed and another looks like he isn't going to make it until the morning... Any ideas what it could be? The other one is still eating away. Right now my ph is a little high and my water is somewhat hard. Could that have anything to do with it?