bryopsis!!!!

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
i seem to have this pest algae in my tank and it wont go away its very fustrating... i read up on raising mag to 1600ppm should cure the problem but it says nothing about it affecting corals.
do you think it will be fine for my corals if i were to raise mag to cure the problem?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So I don't know this for sure but I think raising your Mg levels that high will have some effect on your calcium and alkalinity. Something or another will probably precipitate out of solution and it will probably be the Mg. My gut says you would also have to raise the Ca and Alk propotionately, at the same time.

Really, I don't think I would do it. But if you are going to try please do post the results! :)

Chris

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's a fairly well established way to get rid of bryopsis. You won't need to increase your ca. and alk. with it, but they generally stay high with the increased mag.

I hope you're sure it is bryopsis, though. Increasing mag won't affect hair algae or caulerpa.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I thought hair algae was a type of bryopsis? I had a hair algae problem for a while it started to decrease as the chaeto in the refug took most of the nutrients I think. Then I got lucky and added a yellow tang that loves all algae. It's always ripping hair algae out and eating it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Hair algae is not the same as bryopsis. A tang won't eat bryopsis. Hair algae is a single filament algae, bryopsis is a higher plant, I believe. It isn't easy to pull off rocks, and most fish/inverts won't eat it. With bryopsis, the usual methods of nutrient control won't help.