bubblenest question

catfishbum

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
i have sort of an odd question. i recently added to my betta collection by purchasing 3 more bettas. i put 2 in large bowls and one in a five gal. the five gal has a heater and filter running in it with minimal current. recently this past week i walked out of my bedroom in the morning and the betta had built a bubblenest in the corner if the five gal. i have no idea what provoked it to make a nest but he has been going to town on the nest for about 5-6 days now, still adding to it as needed. is this a normal occurance or is this betta nuts? will he be alright?

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
ok I found this on a betta site:http://www.bcbetta.com/spawning.html

Also try www.bettatalk.com
http://www.bettatalk.com/breeding_bettas.htm
Introducing the Pair

Weather plays a big part in how quick a pair will spawn. We do generally wait for air pressure to drop IE. for a storm front to roll in. We have found if it is hot humid and the air is still for days and days spawning will take longer. So rather than put the pair through more stress than necessary we wait for the weather to cool. We place the male and the female in the spawning tank around 2pm. Male loose and female in the container. After feeding and just before light out that night we release the female, we do not wait for the male to build nest if he has one started or not does not matter. Some males never build a nest, some do during spawning and some after. 9 times out of 10 the fish are spawning by 10 am the next morning. We do not feed spawning fish but we do feed the pair in the morning if they have not started the spawning process.

As the pair are introduced to the spawning tank there will be a lot of flaring and showing of from both fish. The female will get vertical bars on her body his is a sign that she is very willing to spawn.

If the female does not respond to the male by flaring back at him and cowers in the corner she is removed and tried again in a few weeks. Sometimes it does take the female awhile to realize that she is safe in her little tank and will start responding to the male. We do prefer the female responding within the first 5 minutes and if we are not desperate to spawn the pair in a hurry we will remove her immediately and try again at a later date. You will find if the female has not responded by the time you release her the spawning will take a few days to start and she will come out the spawning tank pretty beaten up..

Last edited: