bubbler or no bubble???

Dec 25, 2007
hey i was wondering my tank is doing well but one person told me i need to have a bubbler running in my 55 gallon and then another person said i didnt need a bubbler running in the tank which is it?? also if i really dont need it then would it hurt to leave it in it looks cool lol
obtw
55 gallon fishtank
35lbs of live rock
25 lbs of crushed coral 25 lbs of live sand
aqua clear 300 rated 300gph
2 18"lights
glass tops
2 clownfish
1 valentini puffer
1 royal dottyback
1 chocolate chip star fish
2 turbo snails
1 bundle of greens (thats what they said they were to me green plants which bed in the coral or whatever they can grab lol)
1 purple condy
1 purple tip condy
150w heater
100w heater
skimmer coming soon
now 1 10" bubbler stone
misc shells
1 power head idk what kind looks like a cone shaped fan lol

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Along with recommending the condy anemones with the clowns, crushed coral, puffer and chocolate chip star......I see there isn't a skimmer with that lot which you definitely should have with that lot.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Instead of a bubbler, add another powerhead for circulation. Surface agitation is what helps oxygenate the tank. The one 300gph powehead certainly isn't enough for the tank, but as you don't know what the second one is, I hope it's equal or stronger than the 300gph one.

You should aim for 500 to 1,000 gph from powerheads in a tank that size.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
If you plan on having corals, get rid of the chocolate chip star as soon as possible. It is not reef safe and will attack other stars. I learned my lesson the hard way. You can leave the bubbles in if you like the looks.