Bubbles: Wand, Disk, or Stone??

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I want to add some more oxygen into my Goldfish tank, but I don't know whether to get a Bubble Wand, Disk, or Stone. I really don't like the wands, so I was thinking about the disk and stone. Now the stone that I'm talking about is that Aqua Fizz thing that looks flat and blue with plastic aroung the edges. I like the looks of a disk, but I really want it to cover more surface area, so it can be more evenly distributed. What should I choose?? This is my first time with adding air in the tanks, so I want advice from people who have had experience with these things and which ones they think is the best. Thanks!!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Go with what you like, they all will produce bubbles. I have the flat blue one you describe. It has been in operation for nearly two years without a problem. I suspect that the large surface area helps to keep them from failing. As dust in the air is concentrated thru the air pump it seeems to clog the internal spaces but the large stones have lots of passages, so the air finds another way. Mine no longer produces the tiny bubbles but does produce a lot of the larger ones.
The small stones produce fine bubbles and work fine for a while, but the ones I used in the past eventually get clogged up internally or erode to the point of relsasing large bubbles. If you can find them cheap enough, the small stones can be replaced when they no longer make the small bubbles. Wichever stones you use they will create a fine mist at the water surface and this mist can cause problems with lights and create drips.
There are small air filters available that you can splice in the air tubeing that are meant to trap the dust before it reaches the stones. I have some new ones in their packing cartons, but have not tried them yet so cannot report on how well they work.
Over time I have skipped the stones for the most part and often use just the open end of a tube. This will make fairly large bubbles, but runs for a long time (years). I do this in sponge filters

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Stones are great to look at – but they do clog up after a while – but as they are cheap, be prepared to swap them out every now and then, and it's no big deal.

What you have to factor in, is that the amount of air any bubbles introduce into your water is not the point – it's largely cosmetic – it's the surface turbulence that produces the greater effect, and single large bubbles will do that as much as “fizzy stones” will.

So – if it stirs up the surface water – just pick the one you like looking at the best.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I got a green triangular airstone for $3.99. Does it matter if the Goldfish get covered (mainly on their stomachs) in tiny bubbles?? My Goldfish like to swim in the wake of my filter and they get tiny bubbles on them. They don't seem to mind, and it looks very funny, I just wanted to know if it would do any harm. This is the one that I bought.
PPXAM6-1.jpg

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
There used to be another method come to think of it, where the output pipe from the air pump was plugged into the outlet pipe from the filter - so that the filter blew bubbles across the tank (also a good visual indicator of how well your filter is flowing) - just a thought ......

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
There used to be another method come to think of it, where the output pipe from the air pump was plugged into the outlet pipe from the filter - so that the filter blew bubbles across the tank (also a good visual indicator of how well your filter is flowing) - just a thought ......
I like that idea, it should give surface aggitation without plastic lines running into the tank. I will have to try that in the next few years.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I just started using the discs. Bought a medium a few months ago and a large one last week. They did not seem to work as well as I expected but once I hooked it up to a new air pump it was awesome looking.

As for the wands I would go with the black ones; these can be bent to wrap around ornaments, etc.

The small air stones are my least favorite and seem to break over time.