buddies?

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
i have my male betta in a 1.5g bowl, i recently bought a beautiful blue mystery snail for my 10g then re thought it because i didnt want him to become a snack for my loaches. i have him in the betta bowl and am feeding him algae waffers. my question is... in the long run will the betta pick on my snail or will they be buddies?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I had a betta in with two mystery snails for a long while, he never even seemed to notice them. I think they should be fine together, however if you notice your betta is picking at him, you can always seperate them.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If they're doing fine together now, they'll probably be fine long term... you can generally tell pretty quickly if the betta will get along with something new added to his territory.

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
thanks for the help miss fishy and capslock! i have been keeping a close eye on them (hes next to my bed) and he dosnt seem to pick at the snail... but he is very curious. the snail (i named her cerulean) is out and about more today so todo has been following her closely. i think/hope they will be great together.
another question...
how much more is cerulean going to change the bio load? do snails produce alot of waste? and am i okay feeding her small peices of algae pellets? i dont think todo lets much food get to the bottom, hes even been trying the algae! i dont think he likes its, but its new so hes giving it a try! thanks again guys!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The algae pellets are good, you could also sink some fish flakes and/or pieces of lettuce every once in awhile. Snails don't produce too much bio load, although they do leave waste. Keep up with water changes and cleaning.