buffering questions

jaws

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2006
Hey everyone,

I have 3 tanks all three are planted no co2. I am an avid player inregards to water changes and such. I basically do my changes using a 5 gallon wate bucket. I have well water with specs like these:
ph 6.2 or less-Total Alkalinity low range--Total hardness is soft I know the rules Ph change is harmfull to fish. I started using Seachems buffers (Alkalin- acid). According the direction on back of bottles its states. Use 7 g ( 1 level Teaspoon) for every 10 gallons. First I have a very accurae pro scale 222. 7 grams isn't l level teaspoon. I level teaspoon is 5.5 grams. Is this accurate. I would like to bring my ph up to a slightly acidic range of 6.8-7.0. If using a 5 gallon jugs this is what I come up with. 1/2 teaspoon of Alkaline buffer to 1/2 gram (.5) of acid buffer. The back of the acid bottle it states use 2 g (1/4 teaspoon) for every 20 gallons half of 1/4 of 20 is 5 gallons thus .5 grams of acid. Is this accurate. I a side note Api test kit vials it states fill to line 5 ml. If I take an accurate medicine droper fill the dropper 5ml and fill the vial it will go above the 5 ml line.

Well anyway who knows

Thanks for the confusin.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Your calculations sound right. There's a chart on the Seachem site for ratios of Acid Buffer to Alkaline buffer to achieve a specific pH: Alkaline Buffer

To be honest, unless you have really sensitive fish, your well water pH is fine. Does your test kit give a reading in ppm or dKH/dGH for your hardness and alkalinity (carbonate hardness)?

With the AP tests, fill to the line. Apparently they're made to be measured with the top of the meniscus at the fill line, contrary to what many of us may have been taught in science classes. They're not lab-grade tests, but they do give a good enough indication of the levels in your tank to ensure the health of your fish and plants.

Oct 27, 2007
Maine
I agree with Lotus. I have soft acidic water with a low pH of about 6.0 (I've stopped testing for pH.) I have read that it is really the change in pH that affects the fish, rather than a constant low or high pH. I have stopped adjusting the pH and my fish have been fine. I also have fish that prefer soft acidic water, which may also be a factor. Not sure if this philosophy would work if you had African cichlids.