Bullying

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
Hi
I have recently seen my male ram going after my Columbian red fin tetras, he was introduced into this new tank at the same time as all the other fish...
Why is he doing this and what should i do ???
Many thanks, adam

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
is there a female ram in the tank? Rams are cichlids and although they are considered community fish, they are still cichlids. He is either claiming territory, or defending a female if there is one. Also, alot of fish that seem to get along from a distance will get grumpy when you approach the tank because fish like to claim feeding territory as well. You approach the tank, they think its time to eat....

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
my male ram would give chase anytime other fish came to the female, but as soon as they were far enough away from her he went back to her. I would say unless they are ripping fins it's okay. You may keep an eye out though, she may be getting ready to spawn if she's old enough.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My Angel and Gourami have that same behavior. They chase each other and other fish but never nip or even touch another fish. And they only do it when I am at the tank. Like Discus4everGrl said, as long as no one is getting hurt then you are ok. Cause no matter what type of fish you have they are always going to play their little games of chase.