Buried Cory Cat ~ HELP!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
We just transferred my betta from the 1 gal to the new 2.5 gallon and we scraped some gravel off of the bottom of my 26gal to put into it. We didn't notice until about a minute later, but when hubby scraped up the gravel with a cup, he accidentally buried one of my cory cats. I noticed it after about a minute and moved all of the gravel off of him, but he doesn't look too good. He's turned really light compared to the others and he's just sitting on the bottom, but he's still breathing. He looks like he might have lost a couple of barbells, but is there anything that I can do for him????

Good news is that now my betta is in a much bigger home with a couple of snails.

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
had a similar experience w/ one of my tetras. I put a clay pot on the gravel as an ornament. he didnt swim away fast enough so he got crushed. lifted the pot and there he was, badly brusied and breathing hard. used a product similar to streecoat to try help. after a few months he was ok, just really shy now.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Well, I just got home from work and he's still alive but barely. My bf thought that he was dead and I did too until one of the other cory's bumped into him and his tail moved a bit. He is laying on his side and doesn't seem to be able to roll back over. I put him in a small rubbermaid container with some melafix and some shrimp pellets. Do you think he'll be ok in there if I change the water periodically? Hopefully he makes it, but it's not looking good :(

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
hmmmm...that stinks, I'm sorry to hear it.

I doubt that he is going to eat the shrimp pellets and going without food a couple days wont hurt him. I'd take the pellets out as they are likely going to foul the water and subject him to more stress...ammonia! :(

I wonder everytime I move things around in my tank if this is gonna happen to me or my fish....sorry it happened to you.

I am hoping for the best for you and keeping my fingers crossed!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Thanks, he looks almost completely dead but every couple of minutes he'll twitch his nose or wiggle his tail just a bit, so I'm still hopeful that he'll pull through. I changed the water and took the shrimp pellets out, and added some more melafix to the new water. Guess I'll just have to wait and see now.