Bushy nose pleco fry

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
So, apparently, I have a breeding pair of bushy nose plecos... I looked over into my tank, and saw this 3/4" coach thing on the tank wall. Art first I thought it was a dead plant leaf... Then it moved off the glass and back on. I took a closer look and its a tiny pleco. How long does it take them to grow that big? We moved a month ago, and I'm wondering if it survived the move, or if it hatched since then. Its the only one I've found so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other fish in the tank sure the other fry... or if it is the only survivor from the move. I didn't know to look for them, so I made no provisions for taking care of any fry in the move...
I'm pretty psyched tho. "he's" pretty cute.
Oh, how big/old should plecos be before they lay eggs and have then survive without taxing the system of the female? She's only about 3" long...
(I'm trying to figure out how to post pics from my phone)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Haha, stupid auto correct, but since I have that problem too at least I can understand what you are saying. Idk about the size and age for breeding, but considering the fact that they are egg layers, I think that it survived the move. This is just my opinion since I don't have experience with Plecos.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I found a second one today while starting at the tank for hours... There one albino and one normal. I'm site there are more then just those 2, but that's all I can differentiate at the moment the little dark guy I saw today looks smaller then I remember him, but the patten looks the same, so I can't be sure. They are so cute! Now I just have to find homes for them if there are more then these 2.

I was thinking of separating them into my fry tank, but the are so difficult to catch, I don't want to stress everyone out like that. I'm just hoping they will continue to survive and thrive where they are without being eaten :)

I will post pics later when I have access they the computer.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Congrats!! I'm surpried that you got an albino. What luck!! ;) When I get an angel tank I might get a Bristlenose (bushy nose) Pleco. $8 for one that's 3 inches!! xD

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
OH!!! I didn't realize how small the normal fry was. I though tit was the mom. XD I like them both so much. Hopefully you can get a pic of the male. I prefer females cuz they don't have the bristles on their nose. It's so ugly......:p

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
My male has the bristles on his nose. Only the males get it, and only once they are grown. When I got them, they were about 1.5" and neither had the bristles. The male grew them at about 2.5"...

Congrats on your little guy, and def a steal at only $4 :)

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Also, I counted 4 fry the other day! 3 normals and the one albino. I can't wait till they get big enough to see more often. As it is, I have to hunt them down IF I can find them. The other day I turned on the light in the room early and found 3 plastered to the tank wall. They are SO tiny compared to the other fish in the tank! I'll be pleasantly surprised if all 4 make it. I really hope the albino does, just for variety, and because the gravel in the live-bearer tank is black, so the albino would be much easier to see. ;)

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Hey guys, Im A Pleco fanatic and have done some extensive reading of pleco's and i happen to have a large amount of bristlenoses,
Not trying to be picky but some females do also get bristles, however if any these are usually very small so the females do look better.

The males are also a bit cute for me.. Those fry look about 2 or 3 weeks old in those photos.. Bristlenose fry gain their colour within 2 weeks normally and reach about half an inch in 3 weeks to a month i believe.

It is most likely the move that triggered the breeding, in the wild differences in water temperature can trigger breeding as the rainy season is colder waters for the plecos, so perhaps when you changed the water it was colder..

Or like mine, the ''Cleaner'' new water triggered their breeding.. The eggs take 5 days to hatch and are normally between 30 to 150 i think in one clump..(this is all from memory)

Bristlenoses are quite hardy and so are their fry.. The size of the female obviously determines how many eggs are laid.

Good luck with your babies. =]