Button Polyps look burnt

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
Hi,

I had to move my button polyps away from my mushrooms. they were doing very well, but the two were going to cross paths, and i didnt want that, so I moved the to the other side of tank. they don't seem to be doing as well over there, and are more browning than green now, though they are not any higher in the tank (translation, not any closer to the lights). they are in a little more current, but I thought these things liked some current. its certainly not heavy current, a glancing current from a very small Hang-On filter. any ideas? thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
browning is much better than bleaching. Mine are more brown than green now, and they multiply ..it's crazy. Brown usually means the zooxanthellae is increasing... very active.
Started with 5-6 now i have hundreds spread around the tank. If they're opened don't worry for now.
It an unkillable specie IMO, unless they're bothered by cyanobacteria.
Zman, they can be taken out of the water.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
brown is thr usual color for palythoa, if you want a type of button polyp with color, try zoanthids. and they can be taken out of the water, i have done it multuple times with no ill effects