buying a 120 gallon :)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
just like the title says im buying a 120 gallon hopfully this week the only problem is i have no way to get the one from my lfs home :confused: does anyone know of any good ( cheap ) places to get a tank online where the shipping isnt gonna be too crazy?? or am i better off trying to find a way to get this one home .... btw it was like $450 for the 120 gallon tank , stand, and glass cannopy at one of my lfs's

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i think the shipping charge on a 120g tank would be insanely expensive. where i live you can hire vans and stuff out for a day or so. So maybe you could see if anywhere near you does this.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
around here the home depots rent out bretty big trucks (but not too big that you cant handle them) for dirt cheap, that could work, and would be aa heck of alot cheaper than the shipping from online, and if your home depots are differerent, there has to be some sort of car/truck rental near you

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
I see pickup trucks at U-Haul renting for $19.99 base rate plus $0.69 per mile. How far are you from the LFS? Even with the mileage, it's probably less than half of what you'd pay to ship a 120 gallon tank from somewhere.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
How did you get all yer other tanks home? I would do it the same way, maybe you only needed a small passenger car for the smaller tanks, now i would say you need something with a little more cargo space for the 120g......

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
take into account weight too...the bad boy is going to way around 450-500# empty so you are going to need 3 friends/relatives/associates/enemies/whores to help you carry it in and set it on the stand

Yeah talking about weight. When I went to the lps to get my tank a sales girl said she would help me load it. I was like you know this thing weighs like 300 lbs+. She said she was pretty strong and if she picked it up and didn't think she could handle it she would put it back down and get help. I was thinking OK she couldn't weigh a buck-five and she thinks she can handle it? Well I give her the benefit of a doubt and let her try. I picked up my end...she picked up hers and set it back down. She said " WOW I think I better get some help!" I give her alot of credit for trying but these big glass tanks are heavy!!! Me and my 18 year old carried it in the house and had a third person help lift it into the stand....and I was thankful I didn't have to carry it any further!!!!!

canefins

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
You could rent one of the trucks from home depot for 19.99 for 2 hours, not sure about mileage. shouldn't have too big of a problem moving it with 2 people My brother-in-law and myself moved my 210 by ourselves.

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
yeah I agree...i rented a truck at Lowes for cheaper than a u-haul, although they are cheap as well, and moved many a thing before...or you could offer a friend half that price and get the extra help.

Got my 75 gallon home and moved without help btw, but yeah, bring home a few 'friends' ;) to move a 120!! Just tell your buddies that you don't think they could handle the weight and you'd worry about their backs or something, they'd take that bet and make it if it killed them.....(male pride)

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
wow shipley, that's over 500 pounds of moving weight of water and glass alone, not bad being that it's probably 4 times your weight. I've seen body builders that can't do that...

Of course I wouldn't recommend moving a full tank, even with a little water in it, the moving weight and unstable surface will fatigue the seams and cause (eventually) leaks...

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Or, (expanding on camaro's suggestion) tell your friend "my whores and I need your pick-up to move my new tank, would you like to help us?". I'll bet he helps then! :)