buying an aquarium for the first time...

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
okay another newbie type question...

i plan on buying an aqaurium (15-20G) next week and i was curious, should i just buy whatever package deal the LFS offers or should i buy everything seperately (heater, filter, etc)? And if i get things seperately what types would be best?

Last edited:

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
Chazwick said:
There's not usually a good 15-20G deal going on.
you Chaz you made me laugh so hard!! I think that tops all the arrogence ive seen on with forum!!! lol *twirlysmi

anyway, i think that no matter what you should get multiple experianced opinions on ANYTHING you buy, and that means ANYTHING at ALL...but what size tank are you looking at? and what is your budget?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
What I think is that 200 or 300$ is more then enough for 20 gallon tank. You just have to look in the right places. for example Try to find a tank in a garage sale or a second hand tank. They come very cheap at those places. I got a 55 gallon tank from a garage sale for 20$. gave it a good cleaning and it is up and running. I would suggest buy everything seprately. i would recommend to buy heater and filter new though. I got my 55 gallon tank setp up for i think it is 120$ with lights sand and everything needed.

Igor The Cat said:
you Chaz you made me laugh so hard!! I think that tops all the arrogence ive seen on with forum!!! lol *twirlysmi
I meant in the fact that i have yet to have seen a good quality tank with all the filter, etc, together in a package deal.
Maybe it's just here in England. But you can't get one of those deals with anything more than a 10gallon from what i've seen.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I suggest looking around in the classifieds and online to see if you can find a used one first. Then if not, look for the best deal at a LFS.

I bought a 29Gallon used with everything included (nice wooden stand too) for $150 but if I had looked around a bit more I would have found much cheaper (I recently saw a 20 gallon used, including everything, for $40!). And I am inquiring about a 55gallon I saw in a classified going for $80!

I regretted not looking for cheaper used stuff first. Just a thought...

Jennifer

Igor and Chaz: Take your immaturities to a private chatroom, or the PM system please. This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of aquariums and all it encompasses. We don't really want to be privvy to your mind-numbing name-calling, thanks.

Tessalion: If room is an issue, then a 20 gallon tank would be cool for you, and you can get a wonderful setup with the kind of money you're looking at spending.

The tank you can likely grab for under $20. I'm not sure if you're looking for it to have its own stand, or if you were planning on putting it on a (stable) dresser or some such thing, but even the stands don't go for much at that size.

Since you're new to the hobby, I advise against live plants. Wait until you see if you're cut out for it, first, then perhaps expand your interests, if you'd like. Because of this, you can get away with a fairly inexpensive lighting system and lid.

Go basic at first with the stuff to fill your tank. Don't overdo it. A rock or two...bag of gravel (or other substrate that you choose), a couple plastic plants, bubbler and maybe some centrepiece.

You need to decide what kind of fish you're wanting to buy, so that you know what kind of tank setup you'll need. Research your fish and see if they can be 'friends', and see what kind of environment you'll need to have for them. Will you need a current? Will you need floating plants? What kinds of food will you have to buy?

Do your research first...this hobby isn't something you just jump into, unless you're planning on having an unstocked aquarium. ;)

Other things you'll have to look at are test kits, air pumps, heaters, filters, cleaning supplies and medicines.

Some stuff you'll have to buy right away...other things can wait a bit.

The fish will be the LAST thing you buy...and it'll be a couple weeks at least before your tank sees any.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
SkwidsLair said:
Since you're new to the hobby, I advise against live plants. Wait until you see if you're cut out for it, first, then perhaps expand your interests, if you'd like. Because of this, you can get away with a fairly inexpensive lighting system and lid.
Ahh, what the heck. I'm going to disagree with SkwidsLair on the live plants issue. *PEACE!* Being able to keep fish alive does not equate to being able to keep live plants alive - or vice versa. Personally, I think that live plants make the hobby much more interesting.

I think the easier live plants are not too complicated for beginning aquarists...for example, some java ferns, a clump of java moss, some anacharis stems, an anubias nana. These plants are quite easy and not very demanding - CO2 or ferts are not required. You may have to trim the anacharis when it gets tall, but that's just a snip-snip during water changes.

Also, if you decide later to go with live plants - then it will be a major pain to upgrade (especially if you want to change your substrate later). With the price range you're looking at ($200-300), then you'll be able to get a good plant-friendly set-up. Plus, you can always use a plant-friendly set-up without live plants - but not vice versa.

What do I mean by "plant-friendly"? A small gravel or sand substrate (not large gravel), or a plant-specific substrate (Eco-Complete, Fluorite, Soilmaster Select, Schultz Aquatic Soil, etc). Also, lighting of at least 1.5 watts-per-gallon - either fluorescent strips or compact fluorescent. That's not too complicated.

As already mentioned, you'll want a test kit. A popular one is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit, which tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Test strips (paper strip type tests) aren't very good, as they are expensive on a per-test basis and they aren't very accurate after the first time the container is opened and exposed to air.

Hope this helps, good luck!

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I've looked into a 20 gallon from walmart. Theirs includes the light, filter, and a few other things. Some of the packages include a heater. The only thing about the walmart package is the filter. I really don't know much about filters, but I'm not sure that their filters do as good of a job as others. I have the 10 gallon package, and it has the same style of filter as the larger tanks. You could always upgrade the filter though. Also, walmart has stands, both metal and nice wood black ones. I usually look at walmart for cheap tanks and decorations, but please.... insect the fish VERY VERY carefully before buying them from walmart, IF you do. I haven't had good luck with walmart fish..... my lfs has really great fish though!

UP UP AND GUPPY said:
I am getting that kinda deal with a 20g.
No, I think he means getting 'quality' stuff for a really good price. Kits are usually second rate stuff that doesn't sell well on its own.

charleyevette said:
but please.... insect the fish VERY VERY carefully before buying them from walmart, IF you do. I haven't had good luck with walmart fish..
Never...NEVER buy a pet from a place that sells kraft dinner and stereos. Their departments are run by kids who know nothing about what they're selling. WallyMart has no business selling live animals in the first place...but that's another thread altogether.

tessalion said:
i wasnt planning on having live plants with this aquarium...i think it might be a little more than i can handle
Live plants are just one more thing to worry about, and some fish don't do well in planted tanks, I've heard. I realize there are good beginner tanks out there, but you can always set up a 10 gallon planted tank to see if you like it. Once you get more experience, you may actually enjoy converting your original tank. I'd hold off for now. That's just my opinion, though.