buying aquarium water

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
so i got an API test kit and confirmed that my water has high hp. About 7.8. Its also very soft. I figure it would be better to buy water for my tanks and gradually adjust them to that. My best option is the gallons of great value brand water you get at walmart. Should i get spring or drinking water? They also have distilled but i'm thinking thats a bad option.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
soft water is good for some fish. like neons and guppies and discus. the soft water is great. and the ph is about perfect for fish like african cichlids. pretty much any fish will adjust just fine to high or low ph and hard or soft water. the only thing that has to be watched out for is chlorine. also normal tap water tends to have minerals in it that are good for fish like calcium, iron, magnesium and such. distilled water or other heavily filtered waters don't have any of that for them. now for something like a saltwater tank the distilled or RO water is recomended cause you add minerals and chemicals to the water to have 100% total control over the water chemestry. fresh water is not that picky.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Your pH isn't anywhere near as high as mine (abt. 8.4) and I have had no problem over the years. Chasing your pH just causes stress to the fish and you will lose more fish that way then trying to have an ideal pH for each one.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I tested my ph and it's over 8.0. thats about normal in my tanks. soft water is good for alot fo fish like south american tropical fish. they tend to excel in soft water. but all fish will adapt to the ph and water hardness. and as thyra said chasing the ph will stress the fish. take my apistogrammas for example. i neet to have close to neutral ph and soft water to get them to breed. but i have high ph and hard water. they survive just fine. thats just an example.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
DarkElf, why are you concerned with your pH? Like Thyra says, the last situation you want to get yourself into is chasing your tank's pH down/up/down, etc.. The main thing is to maintain a constant pH, be it high or low. Fish will adapt to your pH. Don't try to modify it unless it's some specific breeding project your after.

DuctTape

Small Fish
Jul 25, 2013
Iowa
I agree with everyone, I did the exact same thing you are considering about 2 years ago. My pH is over 8 but my water is soft just like you described, and trust me, it is just a big hassle to buy water. Most fish will be fine in your water, especially if you use the same water as your fish store. I even keep cherry shrimp in my water.