Buying Used

Apr 14, 2005
North of the 49th Parallel
As we're all well aware of, the cost of set up can be overwelming. Maintenance can be fairly low cost. I'd like another (bigger) aquarium, but don't wanna spend a grand to get one. Does anyone know of any sites where I might find a used aquarium more in my price range. I have heard alot of people think its easier to keep fish than it actually is, therefore the rate of people giving up on their aquariums is high. Anyone with some help would be appreciated.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Try your local classifieds section, http://boston.craigslist.org/ just pic your city from the list on the right , umm, the pennysaver if your city gets it, Google classifieds and your city name, many many options, i was given my first tank by a friend and found my second in the classifieds, garage sales and flea markets are also good sources, just be careful to inspect the tank well, as you won't be able in most cases to fill them up and check for leaks. Some LFS (at least here) will also sale used tanks and equipment, and of course the all mighty EBAY

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2005
North of the 49th Parallel
FishLuvr said:
Try your local classifieds section, http://boston.craigslist.org/ just pic your city from the list on the right , umm, the pennysaver if your city gets it, Google classifieds and your city name, many many options, i was given my first tank by a friend and found my second in the classifieds, garage sales and flea markets are also good sources, just be careful to inspect the tank well, as you won't be able in most cases to fill them up and check for leaks. Some LFS (at least here) will also sale used tanks and equipment, and of course the all mighty EBAY
Yeah, I hear ya. I would also be concerned about the canopy. To make sure the previous owner didn't butcher it trying to cut out the filter insert.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
garage sales have been my best buys! I recently bought my 46 new, but that was because I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't think I'd find it at a garage sale this summer :) Of course just be sure that the tank wasn't made for reptiles, that it holds water...and sometimes dont forget to ask if the person selling it has other things for it that you dont see, sometimes they'll go "oh yeah I forgot to bring that out, you want an old filter?" or something like that. I figure if I get cheaper tanks (as long as they're good quality) that means I can spend more on the filter/lights/fish/deco than I could if I bought them all new.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Just like froggy said.. Garage sales, be sure to ask if they have a fish tank for sale. My best bargains came from garage sales.

Also, bargain finder magazines (in Canada for sure)... but you need to act fast, bargains go quick.

Ask around the family, especially uncles and cousins.

Here are a few deals I found for your reference (all prices Canadian):

* 55 Gallon, 404 Fluval, 8 lbs live rock, lights and solid wood cabinet stand: $125 - Garage Sale
* 10 Gallon, AQ Mini, gravel, lights, $30 - Garage Sale
* 17 Gallon, Whispe 40, 150w heater, gravel, lights, metal stand: $25.00 - Garage sale
* 80 Gallon, Rena XP3, Solid wood Stand (I painted black for $12.00), Light, hood: $300 - Bargain Finder
* 48 Gallon, Fluval 303, metal stand, lights & hood: Free from Cousin :)
* 220 Gallon, glass & fiberglass plywood with some rocks: $200.00 - Bargain Finder

Happy Hunting!

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
And then there is always DIY.For the cost of the glass and a tube of silicon you can have any size tank you want.You can always knock up a wooden lid and stand. *crazysmil

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Local aquarium societies often have auctions. The used items at them are in very good condition and the prices are great. Since the items are offered by members, they don't knowingly sell bad merchandise and are "upfront" about any defects. They also have excellent deals on live fish and plants.