Calcium and snails

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Is it necessary to add calcium when keeping shrimp, snails, and/or crabs? My current test kit doesn't have a calcium test to it, but my next test kit that I get will definitly have it. Also when I first researched the margaritia snails I have I didn't see anything about water temp. Now I see that these snails are actually a cooler water snail. My water temp is between 78 and 80 consistently. Does this mean they're going to keel over soon?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
you don't have much stuff that needs impressive calcium levels..so water changes is ok. The Ca included in your mix will do the job.

Dunno about the margaritas, never kept some..but my turbos ( cooler water too ) definitely died last year when we had the heat wave...the other ones were fine.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
I have margaritas successfully at a temp of 78. They do like to climb out of the water alot though... not the best choice Ive learned unless you have a way to contain them... they havnt seemed to have gone too far though.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I can't get any snails to last more than three months anyway. It could be because the only locally available ones are collected in the Gulf of California (think Cali water temps) and my tank runs at higher temperatures.