Calcium reactor?

May 15, 2009
so ihave totally redone my 72 gallon tank. post some pics later. but im curious as to wether i shoud get a calcium reactor or not. i do want to do SPS but not all. Some LPS, softies, leathers, zoos, everything. lol. but should i get one or will i be good with my two part buffer, or some turbo calcium, or kent buffer. just lookin for some advice

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You'll probably be fine without one. If you have a lot of large, fast-growing SPS, then you might want to consider it. Or, if you're having problems keeping your calcium up with additives.

As far as I know, they're not generally required, but they can make things easier and more automated for you. You certainly don't need to get one before you really know your tank's calcium needs.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Unless you are have large amounts of SPS I wouldn't bother. I dose two part daily (C-Balance) and haven't been dosing lately in the last 4 weeks because I've been gone on work trips and my calcium is still above 400. When I am dosing regularly it's up around 500.

But then again if you have the money and time to install one it's one less thing to mess with.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I wouldn't. Some are really difficult to setup and work correctly. The one's that seem to do the job right are a bit pricey and not worth it IMO unless you have a really larger tank and a ton of SPS like "quaddity" mentions. Just do the old fashion 2 part buffer method and it should be fine.

May 15, 2009
TY all very much. yeah my tank is not very big. 72 gallon. but that sounds good. only gonna have a few SPS maybe. more of a variety though. ill post some pics as my tank evolves.:cool:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if its an option i would definitly get one, i wish i had one! it helps keeps stable params which even if you only want a few sps is still neccessary if u want to keep them long term... ther not cheap tho, even the cheaper ones are pricey after you get all the equipment need to run it!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
all im sayin is long term adding 2 part eventually youll get lazy trust me.... a calcium reactor isnt neccessary no but all im sayin is i wish i had one lol... calcium, alk and ph all go hand in hand meaning if one is off it can throw everything off and the reactor is a good way to keep things stable! if there isnt such a demand for calcium you could also go the cheaper route which would be a kalk reactor, still not absolutly neccessary but another good way to keep things stable ;)
btw LPS use up calcium too

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i kno somebody with some of the nicest sps and no reactor and im talkin 50 differant types of sps but at the same time he's the only person ive seen with that kinda success
oh and he's using kalk in his top off water