Calcium ?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just tested for CA and it was between 360 and 380. So, then I added 5 cap fulls of my seachem. Now my corals are looking funny, frog spawn looks skinny, GSP is all sucked in, etc. Is this just an adjustment to the CA or could my test kit be off? They did this last time I tried to raise CA so I'm sure they will be coming back to normal soon.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Seachem liquid calcium can be added direct as you did. It shouldn't have any effect on your livestock, but to test it next time add it to a quart of water and add it slowly...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmm I used to have trouble raising mine. Then I started dripping Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium powder into my topoff water at about 2tsp/g. I drip approx 1 gallon a day. Works like a charm and my ca is pretty stable at 420. Now if I could just get my alk that stable at 4 meq/l I'd be a happy camper

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Maybe I should try your CA method. Think it would be ok dripping in my fuge? You just mix up one gallon and drip that? So if my tank evaps about 1 gallon a day would the doser thing keep my display water at the right level? Or would if drip too slow?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I mix up 5 gallons at a time and have an aqua dose pump drip it into my sump. Keeps the level just right all the time, unless I don't change it out when it gets empty.......which did happen once.....and remembered when the return pump was pushing air......not a good thing.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It may I am not sure, I use an old dosing pump I got off ebay for $40 and it works like a dream....doses 1 gallon over 24hrs......so I just run it from a 5g jug under the tank......into the sump, though before I had a sump I ran it direct to my tank.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
id think it would be difficult to match the exact amount of water that gets evaporated.... since i dont have halides i dont quite get a gal of evaporation a day..is there a way to slow down the drip??