Calicum reactors..imput anyone??

Billyblaze

Small Fish
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, and was thinking of a Calicum reactor. I have been looking at the Korallin and the Knopp C. I am tired of dosein Kalk all the time, and thought this way may be more effictive. Any thiughts or experences would be great. Some people have said there a waste of money, others great. Thanks to anyone who has an opinion.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
Hey billy if you need to get rid of some money I am here for you man. I'll accept all of your donations. lol. sorry, I had to.
On a serious note, I would buy a cal. reactor if I had the $$$. I don't think it's a waste if you are dosing already and you know that your tank needs the additional calcium.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well it regulates the Ca better than we do manually..when you have a load of corals needing Ca...you may wanna think about it. Acroporas and "difficult" SPS corals hates fluctuations and a couple of days with a low amount of Ca can be very bad for their health. I don't have SPS...but i do know people keeping some and they told me that..

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well ultimately they are the easiest way to add lots of calcium, however you have to be real careful as they can cause hell with pH and some other bits of chemistry if they're not continually monitored, adjusted as the reactor medium loses 'vigor' with time. However if you have a lot of fast growing stonies you don't really have a practical choice. They are where tanks tend to get very complex, messy I'm afraid.
Personally I hear good/bad things about both the Knop and Corallin. I would suggest some hefty research on reefcentral et al to see which are reputedly good/bad. My esperience is limited with the darn thingsb

Billyblaze

Small Fish
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I don't even keep stony corals, but when I dose Kalk, everything really perks up. I figure a continuous supply of calcium would be beneficial. I also expect to have to buy a ph controller to make the thing more efficient.