Camo Dragon Fish?

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Has anyone ever seen a dragon fish on the internet or anywhere that isn't blue with white and black? I saw one on the internet that was golden with leopard spots. I have heard that the gravel or substrate can influence the fish's color, but I'm not sure. I have white and light brown gravel in my tank, is that why mine has a completely white belly? I have seen violet gobies of other more dull colors too, but I thought it was just age. If you type in violet goby and search for images you will find a picture of the leopard spotted golden violet goby. It will show up as violetgoby1

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Here's the picture I was originally talking about. One thing is wierd about it. There is a normally colored one right behind the golden violet goby. Could the golden one be sick, or does it just take time to adapt to the colors. To test the theory of violet gobies taking on the color of their surroundings I put green paper beneath half of the aquarium light. When Ying swam out into the green light the most reflective parts of his body did turn green. I also observed that when he laid on his new log, which is dark brownish green, his color darkened.

Attachments

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
If your talking FW dragonfish, my LFS in ontario canada, carries some mottled brownish looking ones. They keep them in a 75 gallon right beside a tank full of rope fish, makes for an interesting set of displays.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Thanks but I've been to that website before. You said FW dragon fish but there brackish fish. Could it be the condition of their water that causes the strange coloration. Also did the violet gobies at your LFS look like the ones in the pictures that I've posted? Does their color resemble the color of their environment?