Can a clown be too big for an anemone?

May 11, 2010
Chicago
I just added a Green Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) to my system yesterday. I picked the perfect spot for him IMO. He had great flow and excellent lighting. He attached his foot firmly and began to take shape. After four hours since being introduced, my maroon clown began hosting him. I was in admiration of the relationship. But I did notice my clown was roughly the size of the anemone. This morning I found the anemone on the other side of the tank (just my luck) and I flipped on the lights. The clown rushed to the anemone and I walked away. I ate breakfast and checked them again. The anemone lodged itself between two rocks and the clown could not reach it. The clown was frustrated so it started playing with the torch coral. Even now, it (the anemone) is still there after 1 hour. The clown still can't reach it. I know the anemone is alive and well because it is still moving around between the rocks. Is the clown too big or is the anemone just getting used to the tank?

The image on the top is where he moved to. He lodged himself between the rocks in the backround.
The image on the bottom was his original position.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
When my two clowns were small and my RBTA was small, the clowns almost killed it. I ended up getting another, bigger RBTA and the clowns moved to that one. It took months for the small one to start making a come back. You could do like I did, look for a bigger one and then sell or trade for a coral, the small one when he gets bigger.

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Well, 24 hours later and he is still between the rocks. I'm pretty sure that's bad for him. He's not getting any light and he has hardly any flow. The clown patrols him like every minute of the day. I know I shouldn't be moving him at all, but if he doesn't come out by tomorrow morning would it be ok just to move him out of the hole?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I think he is trying to tell you something. I would just leave him where he is at. If he wants more light he will move, jmo.

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Well, he's still there. I guess if he wanted a better spot he would have moved...
The only reason I want to move him is because only parts of him get light, his mouth is somewhat scrunched in and he has no room to grow.
Not only that, it's also not the best angle to view such an awesome creature.
I guess I should leave him be, my parameters are good.

And no, the rock is not crushing him, I already checked.

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Well, thanks for the help. I did leave the anemone alone. It has not moved from the spot in two weeks, but now it only leaves its foot in the little cave. When the lights are on it stretches out to receive the light. It has been thriving. I was just a little impatient. Im glad i left it alone.
And just a little tidbit, this anemone is on the left side of my tank and while I was adding some LR to the right side, the Maroon clown swam over to my arm and started biting me! I thought it was kinda funny. When I started to add live rock to the center of my tank (about a foot away from the anemone) the clown started biting hard! I dont like being bit but as long as he is taking care of his anemone I am happy.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
it is not uncommon to have a clown bite you when protecting what he/she thinks is hers....especially an anemone. I had a perc that used to bite me the second I put my hand in the tank (a 75g) even though it was clear across the tank. Remember Maroons have spines on their cheeks and can deliver a nasty bite. best to corral her to the other side when working on the tank.