Can a Plywood Stand support a 4 foot tank?

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
4 foot tank. This sound like a standard 55 gallon tank ... 48X13X20

55gal of water weighs 458.95 pound (55 X 8.345). If plywood can support this weight (maybe little more with substrates and other equipments), then go ahead.
Other standard aquarium with 48 in length are 75, 90 and 120 gal, in which case weighs more with water than 55 gal tank.
In my exprience, plywood isn't simply strong enough to withstandthis kind of weight for an extended period of time.

Rohn

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You should build a framework of two by fours and face it with the plywood. For a fifty-five, I'd use two crosspieces in the top frame, and probably in the bottom too, just for stability. Mine is made like this and faced with half-inch plywood. Looks nice too.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
yah im gonna agree, my stand has plywood but it is not the main supporter, i have a box frame on the top and bottom, and 6 legs in between them for suport, one on each corner and 2 in the middle for support plus 1 center brace. and because plywood is not waterproof you need to coat it with a stain like deck sealent or polyurathane.(spelling?)

Jul 28, 2006
I'd justgo to a petsmart and get a stand.. the 55 stand is only like $129. and designed by a tank man. to support the weight of a tank.
just my opinion. I bought one for my 90 and it was $139 and does the job just fine and looks good too!*celebrate

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
My 90 gallon stand is made of compressed particle board, which is cheaper than the nicer wood stands, but still looks pretty good and holds the weight.

I used to keep my 40 gallon outside and at that point it has a compressed particle board base as well. It lived through 3 years of Florida climate before we took it down and moved the tank to my room, so it's pretty durable :)