Can anyone id this fish?

Jul 20, 2005
Hi guys, Today I got two lil itty bitty fish, they are around 1cm high and long,. The lady at the Aquarium shop said that they are Balloon Gold Rams, but they look nothing like the pics I have been finding :( ie

http://www.thaidiscusfarm.com/basket/CandyPress/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=385

ughh, what are my lil guys? Bottom Pic in Gallery

two Krebensis's (1's pregnant)
Two white/cream ones are??

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~shellij/gallery.html

tyia :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Hmm, so if they are Blood Parrots doesn't that mean they would be red or at least orange? But a couple of sites are saying they are brown/black when they are small?? ughh... And does the ugly mis-shaped head/back grow later? i can't really see much resemblance to them, but i can't find any pics on the net of baby Blood Parrots.

If I know that's really what i have, at least I can try and accomodate them

TYIA again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
To answer your questions re colour - no, I see what you mean, but that semi albino pink is pretty common. And no, they're misshaped for life (thus the controversy round them).

Baby cichlids are always a bit short and 'blobby' compared to adults, but I'm relatively sure that's what they are. Having said that balloon rams are simply well marketed deformities

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
They look similar to the first picture to me....just very pale. And wouldn't that be normal if you just got them? My fish barely have any color when I first bring them home. Maybe they'll brighten up after a few days.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The first link is a balloon molly, not a ram. The second pic (of your fish) I'll have to defer to the other folks -- I can't really make out the fish well enough, but it definetly is a cichlid.

Jul 20, 2005
Ughh well I am not too happy if they are Parrots then :( from what i have read they were never meant to be, how very sad people do this to anything
I am not sure what to do about these now, I aren't a confrontational person, so taking them back to the shop would be really hard for me to do. Maybe I will just try and keep them happy, from what i have read these don't live too long. In the meantime I will try and research Cichlids so I know what i am looking at next time.

Thanks to you all :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well balloon rams are near as damn it just as bad and ugly. If they've transformed the ram into something looking like a pink parrot it's hardly a great leap forward.

If you don't want them take them back, else look after them to the best of your abilities. I wouldn't bet on them having a short lifespan though. The fish they're derived from can live 15 years plus