Can Betta Bites go bad?

cadams

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've had 1.1 oz plastic container of Betta Bites for about 2 years now and still have about half of it left. My office Bettas have been having some fin rot while feeding with this food. The tank setup is an Eclipse Explorer, 2 gallons with a filter. A co-worker has the same set-up and his Betta has been fine but he uses new food. Could the old food be causing the fin rot because all other things are equal in the two tanks?

cadams

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I tossed the food, be sure of that. It's like what, $3 for another small container of it? I just want to find out why my fish is getting the tail fin rot and his isn't and the food is the only variable.

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
here is another idea for ya. Jus feed em live food, they seem to be happier with the live food. i mean would u like to eat cherrios all day? or a pound of steak everyday?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i don't think his coworkers would take kindly to a cold bowl of blackworms in the office fridge;)
yes betta bites(like all things)go bad.
you should try to replace your fish food every two months,regardless of how much you use because once you open the package oxidation begins.just like with human food,too much air will make things stale and unnutritious.hikari freeze dried foods can last a little longer due to the fact that they offer an air/moisture absorbant.