can i add 5 tigerbarbsto my tank?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
:confused: :eek: umm my friend aparently thought they were cool and he bought me 5 of em without asking... i can get a small tank set up for em for now till i can move em into a 10 or 20 gal... just wish he would have asked o_O

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
actually Barbus tetrazona dos not get to 4 inches unless they are wild caught specimens, aquarium breed max out at about 2.5 inches and 5 would be okay in a 10 but better in a 20. the main problem is they are high energy and when kept in small groups like you are sugesting they are fin nippers especially to long fined fish such as regular angels (but ive found Altums to be fine companions)

cheers

-Java

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
you could put 6 in a 20gal as long as it has decent planting, then otocinculi would be good algae eater as they are in most tanks, but what do you by "clean up fish" if you need something to eat the extra food (highly unlikely with barbus tetrazona anyway) you COULD get some cories or loaches, but it would be better to just feed them less anyways, and if you want some bottomfeeders then feed them specialized foods anyway.

cheers

-Java

Jul 22, 2006
I have 8 Tiger Barbs and they are very PLAYFUL, but they do not cause chaos in the tank. Make sure you have plenty of them in a group, at least 6. I doubt that they will reach 4 inches, but you never know.

Its a good buy at WalMart - AquaCulture 29 G Deluxe, but their light/hood sucks. If you want a better light, go get one. If you want a better hood, go get one. You can always get something better and give away what you had with the box. The AquaTech filter in the kit, you can give it away and get a better filter. Its all up to your preference.

Thunder

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
ime tiger barbs can and will nip at anything that takes there fancy. Idealy(spl?) they should be kept on there own,but if you where going to keep them with other fish make sure they can handle themselvs eg: rtbs or other types of barbs.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Igor The Cat said:
ive found that they are only nippy when in very small groups, when they have a decent shoal they tend to keep it within themselves.

cheers

-Java
Really? I had 10 and they still nipped,not all the time but you know if an other fish swam near them...........

Jul 22, 2006
I had 6, but they wouldnt behave, so I had to explode the population to 10 and 2 died during the introduction phase, so I am left with 8 healty tigers. With a school of 8, they finally learned and listened to me.

Thunder