Can I get a Parrot Cichlid?

vo1umeone

Small Fish
Aug 1, 2009
Soooo
I set up another 29 gal tank...I know, I'm slightly obsessed with fish.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I could get a parrot cichlid? In the tank, there is a small pleco, two little fruit tetras, and two mollies. The mollies can be moved if they have to. I have a 30 and 10 gal filter in the tank, and a heater if necessary. I also have a little cave for it to hide in.

I don't have a light/lid, though. The tank is under my other 29 gal, and I ran into the problem of the bottom tank being too close to the bottom of the other tank to fit a lid in between easily.

Also, just curious. Is there a tank size that would be equivalent in width and length to the 29, but not as tall (my 29 is 30x12x18)? Maybe a 20gal long? It is hard and time-consuming to do water changes with the 3.5 inch gap above the bottom tank.

But back to parrot cichlids. Would one be compatible with the other fish? And would it be okay without a light?

EDIT: Sorry, this should be in the general freshwater forum I think. I'll repost it there.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea, like mentioned parrots need a group of around 5 to be at their best and a 100+ gallon tank.
Rams and other small south american cichlids are great for that tank size. apistogrammas are also cool.
you could probably get a gourami of some sort. pearl or dwarf? up to you what you pick, but it sound like you want this "centerpeice" fish everyone aspires to have lol. i think im guilty of that aspiration too :p
what is this "ghost fish" you have in your tank ...?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
no sorry, tank is too small, parrots can grow 8"+ :( like newman said they also like being in groups. Some fish I would add if I where you is more fruit tetras- actually whiteskirt tetras, dyed! If possible get whiteskirt tetras, so you aren't supporting the process of dying fish. Do you know how that's done? It's very cruel. They take the fish out of the water, put it in an acid bath to remove their protective slime coating, then injected with dye. Most fish die in the process, or die soon after.
Rams, apistogramma or a dwarf gourami would be a good centerpiece fish choice. Oh, and if your mollies are not sailfin you could consider a betta!