Can I get mre fish?

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Hey all....

I have a 10 gallon, lightly planted (getting more plants today) with 4 zebra danios in it.

I think my tank could use a few more without over stocking. Do I get a few more danios? How many? 2? Or would there be another kind of fish that would do well and I could get a few of those?

I don't have a cleanup crew, so maybe that is what I should get? But what kind? An otto?

Ideas would be great.

Sarah

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
You could definitely double the school of danios if you like them, or get a school of small tetras (3-4, neons, black neons, glowlights, etc.). An oto would work fine too.

You could also add 3-4 cory cats for the bottom if you like those catfish. I personally prefer kuhli loaches for bottom feeders in smaller tanks like ten gallons.

I guess the thing to decide is if you want to keep the danios as the centerpiece fish (by getting 4 or more of them) or mix it up a little and have a community setting. A female betta is generally okay with zebras because the danios are so fast and can avoid her nipping.

Or maybe a powder blue dwarf gourami? You really have a lot of options where you are right now with your four danios.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I say either do 3 Cories and add 1 more Danio or add 3 Cherry Barbs (2 Females and 1 Male) for some color and something thats not a Gourami or Tetra.

Edit: I forgot the Oto in either set up.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it was really helpful when picking out the rest of my tank.

So I had the 4 zebra danios (one long finned who kept nipping and chasing the others), and just picked up 4 ghost shrimp and 2 long finned blue danios (and the nipping has stopped by the long finned zebra danio since there are now 3 with long fins and 3 without).

Do I have room for an oto? Would it get along with the 4 ghost shrimp? Any other suggestions or things I should be considering?

I really appreciate all your help everyone!