CAN I HAVE BOTH????

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
I have talk to many people and I have been told to put crushed coral and I was told to have Livesand. So whats up? I have half of my tank done in crush coral and the other have in gravel I want live sand but Im not sure if I can have both PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON THIS ONE. Do I need both or will they clash?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Don't do it. It will all get mixed up and become a great big mess. The sand will get in the pores between the crush and make a nice anaerobic mess, and the larger grains will stop sand sifting creatures.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
how could sand "hold an algae bloom" that makes no sense to me...you will still need something to stir that sandbed up, whether it is you or some brittlestars or something along those lines or it can creat an anerobic environment = unhealthy

correct me if im wrong someone

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well....you probably need to make sure your tank is stabilized and all first...id wait a couple months at least...your crabs and snails (do you have any snails?) will help with that too...course, if you have some bristleworms or anything like that you might not need the stars...

Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
hey 1979 camaro havn't seen you online for a few: anyways I dont have any snails just two crabs. Will they be ok or will I need to get something else to help the sand? and I dont have any bristleworms or anything like that I dont think.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well...i think you need to wait and figure out whats going on with that other LR you bought before you get any new stock for the tank (is the royal gramma new??) but eventually you are going to need some snails and some more hermits

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
i was told by the lfs that i should slowly switch over to the live sand that its better than the crushed coral because it would be more natural. So i am going to be switching it over next week by pushing the crushed to one side and taking it out as i add live sand... if anyone thinks this is a bad idea? well let me know. Just following instructions from the lfs.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
There is bacteria in the crushed coral. Keeping it there for a few weeks will help jump start the sand. Also, a little crushed corals still in the sand won't hurt anything.