Can I over filter?

stanli

New Fish
May 16, 2009
I want to set up a classroom A. cichlid tank. It's 50 gal with a emperor 400 rated upto 80 gal. I plan on planting the tank and using a diy co2 system. Would I want to utilize the right side of the tank for an extra filter? Would this allow for more bioload or is it overkill? I am aware of the territory issues, just wondering if more filter is ultimatly better, or can it be bad?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
lots of filtration is a good thing. However, if you plan on doing co2 you don't want too much surface agitation. Also, if your tank is to be heavily planted you might not need as much filtration, as the plants will absorb some of the fish waste. I've never planted heavily enough to test this out.

Are you planning on African cichlids? If so, forgo the plants, they'll just uproot them. I think their natural environments are mostly rock. Some South American cichlids will do the same, although you'd have better luck with other SA cichlids, I believe.

What cichlids are you considering? That info would help us to suggest proper tank setup.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I would say that filter is good enough, but I would likely put two smaller ones on either side to be honest- better flow over the whole tank. Flow is especially important in a planted tank utilizing CO2.

stanli

New Fish
May 16, 2009
I was hoping for African, but if they aren't suitable then I can go another direction. I need the plants for certain science lessons, and the co2 makes a great Chem lab for the 5th graders. If I'm off in thinking cichlids then please I'm open for sugestions. I just need a good healthy planted tank to teach from...

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
if you want some fish that may breed, I suggest a setup similar to what I have actually- I have a pair of Kribensis and some dither fish (I have some cories and some harlequin rasboras). Kids would love to see the eggs and watch them develop into youngsters and then juvenile fish and upwards. However htis might be sort of high maintenance for you so do a lot of research on this is you choose to go with something lik eit.

stanli

New Fish
May 16, 2009
I hadn't really considard the life science part, but it sounds like a good idea. If I set up the tank in August, Stock in September...what is a breeding time frame? I haven't decided what to do over the summers, take the fish to a store, give to prepared kids homes or run a summer tank in my home. Will 9 months be eough time for a typical petco fish to mature and breed/ hatch etc...?

blue_ram

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2008
Florida
I hadn't really considard the life science part, but it sounds like a good idea. If I set up the tank in August, Stock in September...what is a breeding time frame? I haven't decided what to do over the summers, take the fish to a store, give to prepared kids homes or run a summer tank in my home. Will 9 months be eough time for a typical petco fish to mature and breed/ hatch etc...?
African Ciclids and plants don't mix too well, if you want a planted tank and cichlids, you should go with New World ciclids.

Guppies, Platys, Mollies and Swordtails breed easily and are livebearers so you do not have the hassle and worry of caring for the eggs and having a whole clutch fungus.. Cory catfish are also prolific. I have also heard that Convict Cichlids were easy to breed also.

CO2 is not needed for a nice planted tank and IMHO detracts from the natural look. A well stocked tank with decent lighting will grow most anything you want.