Can I start a new tank without live rock ?

Oct 21, 2005
I'm trying to setup a new tank by the end of November for my daughter's birthday. The tank is a 29 gal. but I'm using a three stage filter and a venturi protein skimmer. Both are rated for 90 gal. tanks. I'll also be using a dual compact light ( 2 x 65w ) that has the led " moon " lights. Due to a limited budget I can't afford to spend another few hundred dollars for the live rock. I don't want that many fish, mostly inverts as she likes the more " weirder looking " creatures. Is there a kind of " dead rock " I can use and add " live sand " ? Please excuse my ignorance as I know nothing on this subject. Thanks for any help.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well i did start my tank a little bit like you wanna start yours. Unfortunately, without a good amount of live rock, you tank will not be stable and it'll be high maintenance. I begun with like 5 pounds of rocks and damsels...after like 3 months i added 50 pounds of base rock ( dead reef rock ), then a little bit of different live rock to have like now 90 pounds of rock in a 55 gallons. It wasn't easy and still after a year, the base rock isn't completely like live rock. It ain't as porous and therefore, less bacteria than in live rock.
The weird looking inverts are mostly corals, and they need a much much better water quality than most fishies. Anyways, you should read http://www.reefcorner.com/Manual/nitrogen_cycle.htm
Oh and i personnaly find live sand useless, if you have good quality live rock.
Sand will become "alive" eventually.
Ok step 2 : Get "the conscientious marine aquarist" by Robert ( Bob ) Fenner.. or "the new marine aquarium" by M.Paletta. Those are great, explains everything you need to know. No kidding. If you wanna start a SW tank, better read a bit about it before spending money.
Your tank will not really be ready for corals by the end of november. SW tanks take time.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
dj, how strapped for cash are you? Is it like a no way, or could you get like 15 pounds? 15 would be a awsome place to start with a 30, and that would suffice for some interesting inverts for your daughters liking until you can afford more rock and then stock the tank to full desire.

The New Marine Aquarium is exactly what you need, it is a great book for a true noob (speaking from experience) and it really helps.

rumage through the forums and youll learn everything you need to know, but as kahlua said, take it easy, and do your research, dont rush... it will pay off in the end

good luck

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would get some dead rock, and then get a smaller amount of very good quality live rock, and let it seed up. Live sand is almost invariable an utter waste of money - you're better of getting dead sand and adding a 'deep sand bed' kit from garf, or inland aquatics or similar. Or simply leting things from the live rock move in.
If you've a 29 though I think you could get 10 or 15 lbs of dead limestone, and 10 lbs of live rock, and be laughing

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
'My system is low maintenance testament to that' - we'll see how we're all doing in a years time. That's not meant to be snappy, but a few months is no timeframe to measure anything.
However it is true to say that live ISN'T necessary, and the garf grunge will certainly have helped bring a measure of biodiversity