Can I use a used reptile tank for fish??

kebuchan

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2007
Cincinnati / Toronto
Hi all,

Someone's selling a 30g used tank, it's got his lizard in it right now. I don't think it's a steal but if I can use it it's probably a lot cheaper than buying new one.

I read somewhere that the urine and droppings of snakes/lizards could be an issue as it is absorbed by the sealant.

Thanks,

Kevin

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
^^ what Lotus said.

"Reptile" tanks are called that for a reason....they use thinner glass & sealer that isn't manufactured to hold water. They are manufactured to be a holder for reptiles. I would never put h2o in them because they would easily bust.

kebuchan

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2007
Cincinnati / Toronto
ugh,... ok but it could be a fishtank!... let's assume it's a 30g fish tank... my concern was the fact that there's a lizard in it right now.

I'll ask the guy and check it out when I see it as far as thickness of the glass etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Not saying that because my set up works it will work for you, but i have a 40 gal reptial tank with the sliding screen lid and what not. I have my Red eared slider in there along with about 30 gals of water and have for a number of years with no problems.

Not sure if filling it the rest of the way would have caused problems though, i don't see why. I did up graded her tank to a 75 and was plaing on breeding mollies or platties in the 40.

Also as far as what is left over i'm sure a good cleaning and a proper cycle would take care of it if anything is actually left.