Can i...?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
uh,i don't think so.it's not a matter of natural.there is nothing more unnatural than keeping a saltwater tank:p no the best advice i can give on those line is water quality must be a-1.coralline is hard to grow for many people .two part buffer is the only thing i have heard that helps.no secret tricks that i know of.

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
My tank has been up for 6 months with 46lbs. of live rock and perfect water, 0's on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and silicate. and PH at 8.3. I just started getting coralline algae last week, so its gonna be while before you see any of that.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Keep calcium high, and too much light doesn't reputedly help. Mike Paletta reckons strontium addition helps so I'm going to try that. Note that it it'll likely take 6 months for the tank to settle down so don't worry or try to much before that.
Yes 6 months. See Eric Bornemans articles in Reef Keeping Online magazine - popular myths, part 3

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
mines been up about 8 months now, corraline really started about 5-6 months into it...i dose calcium, iodine, strontium, and molybendum and it is growing pretty quickly now...patches on the glass start as dots, grow to dime size within a few weeks, up to a quarter within a couple months...its just a matter of patience

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Give it time, coralline algae is a very slow growing algae. It should go faster if you have a lot of light and a high PH.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater planted