Can it be cleaned?

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Ok so I got a 30 gal tank dirt cheap. but now I'm thinking I know why...
The tank is disgustingly filthy... So bad it smells like moldy cottage cheese *gags*
Any clue on how I can get this tank in running shape without using something so abrasive that I couldn't use it after all is said and done? :confused:
When I get the chance I will try and post pic of what looks like.. Hopefully the smell won't bust my camera :rolleyes:

UGAfan2001

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2004
Visit site
i cleaned my tank for the first time since tearing it down 4 months or so ago, all i did was take it outside, hook up the water hose, and just sprayed, and sprayed and sprayed for a long while til it was sparkly clean, then i rubbed it down with my old fish tank cloth thing. pretty simple i guess although i have no idea how dirty yours is. did you find it at a yard sale or something? i wish i could run across a cheap semi large tank. congrats on the good deal though.

Brad

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the input Brad! I still need to get it out of my garage and onto my driveway to try and clean it out... I will try the spraying over and over and over... technique first though, I'm just thinking by the looks of it, it will need more than just water... But I do have a scrubby from one of my current tanks I can use to help... I actually bought it from a guy on craigslist.com. I knew it would be a chore to clean but well worth the purchase if I can pull it off.

*PEACE!*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
depending on what its dirty WITH...you might try a weak vinegar/water solution....or a weak bleach/water solution if REALLY HOT WATER doesn't work. Most things that get on fishtanks naturally are things that will come off with soaking and some elbow grease :)