Can one angel get along with...

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Can one angel be kept with a school of neon tetras and white clouds... and possibly a single comet goldfish (he got attached to the little bugger while he was cycling)? He also has a pearl gourami I gave him and wanted to know if that could get along with an angel. My boyfriend is deciding on stocking for his 45 gallon tank, and wanted me to post on here, cause he knows this is where I get all my info!!

Thanks a bunch,
Brinny

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Well, I'll probably get him to trade in his pearl gourami, so... could an angelfish, a school of neons and white clouds, and a comet could get along without any problems? Any input from angel keepers? ^__^

Thanks again!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Gouramis and angels can get along or not -- depends on the fish. Pearls are probably the most peaceful of gouramis, so you're more likely to have things work so long as the angel goes along with the plan. As for the neons, again, depending on the angel, he'll either follow his instincts and snarf them all up or not (the white clouds as well) If this is a 45 tall, there really isn't enough room for the comet -- he'll also prefer somewhat cooler water than the angel and neons (white clouds also appreciate cooler water).

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Alrighty, thanks for your help guys ^_^ I'll tell him that if he wants to keep that comet that he'll need a separate tank for him.

See, I was confused about the white clouds because I have 7 of them and they seem to be perfectly healthy in a heated tank. But I do know they are "coldwater".

Would it help the angel's aggressiveness problem if it was bought as a baby and grew up around the other fish?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That does help, getting a big one now and placing him in a tank of little fish is asking for trouble but if he grows up with the little fish he's less likely to see them as food. Also, since neons are only supposed to live a year or so, they may just all die off by the time the angel is big enough to really hunt them.