Can regular kitchen salt be used for SW tanks???

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
So my mom comes over, and somewhere around the conversations fish comes in. Says this lady at work was talking about how nice her fish are. She got curious and asked more questions about them. My mother was shocked to hear the answers. Lady says she has had them for 8 years. Has a 55 gallon tank with 12 fishes in it. Little chunks of rock here and there with some fake plants but no coral. She uses a double bio-wheel filter. Mom asked for name, but lady knew it as that. No skimmer at all, infact she didn't even know what it was. For salt she uses regular kitchen salt. Says she buys water from the store in a container,(Possibly RO water) takes it home mixes the salt with it. Grabs a plastic thing(Guessing it a hydrometer) and keeps adding salt/mixing it until the needle hits the red numbers. Leaves the water out for 7 seven days, and then does a water change with the water in the tank. Weird story huh? I think this is the first careless owner I've seen that has fish for that long.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
So there you go. She sounds like she at least does water changes, ages her water before hand and does measure for sg. So, it is possible.......though out of curiousity i wonder what her actual parameters are and what fish she actually has in there.....

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was more talkin about having 12 fish in a 55 with no skimmer, running a bio wheel with long term success (8 years!!) but than that combine with the fact she uses table salt just seems like a load of bs IMO

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
I'm as clueless as any of you. I really didnt not believe it at first, but hey now days people do weird things and sometimes they work. Besides if it works for her, then she saves a heck of a lot of money.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Well alot of people do some weird things in fish keeping. It may work for them but it doesnt make it right or the best way to do things.
(just wanted to make things clear in case some newbe reads this. ;))

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well not exactly as the number of posts a person has on here is not directly correlated or indicative of a persons knowledge or experience......Newbies/Novices correctly identify these types.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
FishGeek said:
Well alot of people do some weird things in fish keeping. It may work for them but it doesnt make it right or the best way to do things.
Yes it does. It simply means that she might have stumbled upon something we are unaware of. It doesn't jeopardize the health of the fish, I say we all need to know the real secret. As everyone forgot the penicillin, which was accidental discovery, and not we simply cannot survive without it.

CoolWaters said:
if there is soild proof that this is for reals then this should be on the genis book of world records...
If this really works, we all need to learn her secret?

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
It is possible to run 55 gal SW tank without a protein skimmer provide the tank can no corals and the bioload is low and frequent water changes are done. The protein skimmer allows us only to extend the frequency of the water change. Is the same can be accomplished by frequent water change, then great.

If the tank has only 12 small (maybe 1 inch long) fishes, then the bioload produce by them is small and water changes can easily remove the organic waste.

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
My concern is the use of common salt. Edible salt contain high amount sodium chloride compared to salt mix. Edible salt also contain Anticaking agents. These include, tricalcium phosphate, calcium or magnesium carbonates, fatty acid salts (acid salts), magnesium oxide, silicon dioxide, sodium alumino-silicate, and alumino-calcium silicate.

My question or concern is, what is the effect of some of these elements on these fishes?
Excess of silicate and phosphate should definitely result is diatoms. Fatty acid would break down and create more NH3 and eventually NO3.

This would still not be a problem if the tank is small or the amount of water change is large and frequent.

Rohn